Great Nottinghamshire bike Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I've entered this ride and it's just over 1 week away now.

Does anyone know whether the 75mile route is the same as last year?

I ask because:

1. Last year it was sold as a 75 mile route and came in at 81 miles.

2. To avoid a short 'off road' section towards the end (used for the 50 mile route) last year we (the 75 milers) were sent down an insane dual-carriageway which was extremely dangerous to say the least.

I would like to avoid this and will take my chances on the 'off road' route rather than risk my life again. I did complain to the organisers and they say they would look into it for this year.

My advice to anyone doing the 75 mile route who isn't on a road bike would be to follow the 50 miles route to the finish when you re-join it towards the end (many 50 milers are on road bikes and they all manage)

delstron

My wife and I have entered the 75 but as a first timer can't assist with your question other than to suggest that the main road section MAY be the same this year. The web site states that the sportive riders will stay on the main road to avoid the off road section.

I am watching this thread with interest. If I may ask, can you advise on the type of food available at the watering holes, and the close-off times at the finish. We are OK with the distance but by no means 'quick'.

Thanks

delstron

I have plotted the route on the 'Tracklogs' software and it is indicating the following statistics -

Length - 78.5m
894m of ascent & decent
Average gradient 1%
Duration 4h20 (Naismith model)

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
It appears that it might well be the same route then. It is longer than 75 miles and the final section (to avoid the off road bit) is very dangerous.

Many of the 50 milers are on road bikes and manage the off road section (which is about 1/2 mile through some woods).

I'll definitely be doing this, even though I'm riding the 75 as the dual carriageway is absolutely insane - cars were beeping and hurling abuse at us - it is a very fast section of road.

I would rather even walk the 1/2 mile through the woods to avoid this road.

TVC

I rode through the woods last year because I missed the sign to stay on the main road, the worst bit was the unmade road at the back of the race course. Apart from the last bit I found the 75 (81) mile route a real delight.
Not doing it this year because of other commitments.

delstron

Are the info packs out yet at all? Paid a fortnight ago but no sign.......

Whats the grub like? And what time do they close it down (75) as we are 13mph merchants.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
at 13mph you're going to be at the back of the field on the 75 but I wouldn't think that you should have to worry about them closing before you finish.

About 17 miles from the end, you will re-join with the 50 milers and some of these are either very slow or spend a lot of time in the pubs en-route.

you'll have plenty of time to finish if you make a decent start. I'd try and get 40 miles done before relaxing.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
delstron said:
Are the info packs out yet at all? Paid a fortnight ago but no sign.......

Whats the grub like? And what time do they close it down (75) as we are 13mph merchants.

I haven't received anything yet either. There is an option to collect on the day so if you don't receive it before the event I'd assume that you have to do that.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I never eat the food but from what I've seen in the past it looks OK and used to be reasonably priced too - however, like everything else at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if prices were rocketing this year!

I recently noticed that the Thule bike rack I bought 4 1/2 years ago for £55 now costs £145

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
considering the GNBR is one of the largest events in the UK, I'm amazed that this thread isn't more popular - I can only conclude that many of the 6000 or so riders are not regular cyclists.

I did the 50 last year and am looking forward to doing it again.

The bit through the woods (behind the race course) at Colwick park can easily be circumvented by getting onto the Colwick loop road at the bit through the industrial estate there.

delstron

All done and a splendid day, particularly the Wellow refreshments which were top notch, even someone there to park your bike for you.

5h odd for the 75 (77.9) so pleased with that.

Top Bottom