Great ride out this morning - almost!...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arranged to go out on a 30-miler this morning with a colleague who hasn't been out since last September.
So off we set ay 8:00 in the lovely sunshine on a loop taking in the coast and that great Sunday morning ride feeling along with the great scenery.
On the return leg, my colleague was slightly ahead and took a wrong turn on a roundabout so I caught him and we turned back.

The roundabout is currently being resurfaced and on approach it looked like our lane was closed so we ventured onto the new Tarmac until I realised we were on the wrong side of he road...

I veered left to take me Onto the cutaway surface but at too straight an angle and the 2" drop just pulled the fron wheel from under me and down I clattered.

Very close to breaking my finger, but thankfully the RH shifter gave.
Look so worse than it was, just gotta keep flexing them.

I was amazed however, when off came te bib-shorts to reveal the injury to my butt! Print seem bad when I was riding the remaining 6 miles home.

Just scrapes to the bike and the shifter needs re-aligning properly and tightening, but overall it came off better than I did.

My first real off on my roadie though.

Hence my battle scars...

image.jpg
image.jpg
this was in a mirror so on my right side.

@Cycling Dan you probably know the roadworks at the top of the road past North TynesideGeneral.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ouch! Sorry to hear that and glad you survived.

I had similar but on pea gravel on the road - the bit that car tyres miss.

Came off and my right hand looked like yours although I had more cuts at the base of my fingers. Used one of my tyre changing vinyl gloves to stop the dripping till I got home (7 miles - similar distance to you). Filled up with blood and was very sticky by the time I got home!

Hand felt alright at first (I had lots of other aches to distract me) and eventually I ended up at the hospital. Turns out I have stretched 3 tendons and 5 weeks later I still have a seriously painful hand plus my index finger is stuck in the straight ahead position. Can still use my brifters though so not all bad.

Have a speedy recovery! Don't do it again. :smile:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Indeed I know of the road works, you have to take it very very slow over the temp surface as on a bike you have zero grip. I have to use it a lot and for me i don't feel comfortable doing 13 mph over it. the road is so bad the concrete base layer has pot holes in it, its really bad. Some nasty road rash you have there. GWS

Top Bottom