Great ride then SNAP!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mallory

Arghhhh. I was having great ride today :becool:

Got out to brookmans park and then my spider senses said i'd better turn back :huh:

Going up Galley lane and my gears started to slip, here we go again they need -reindexing or some dirt has got in the mech.

Just before the top of Barnet High St (lots of traffic) my gears won't change so a quick emergancy stop and hop on the pavement :eek:

My blinking gear cable had snapped inside the STI lever :angry:

So now i've either got to take to cough,cough Evans to install an entire new cable set or i may try it myself :whistle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Arghhhh. I was having great ride today :becool:

Got out to brookmans park and then my spider senses said i'd better turn back :huh:

Going up Galley lane and my gears started to slip, here we go again they need -reindexing or some dirt has got in the mech.

Just before the top of Barnet High St (lots of traffic) my gears won't change so a quick emergancy stop and hop on the pavement :eek:

My blinking gear cable had snapped inside the STI lever :angry:

So now i've either got to take to cough,cough Evans to install an entire new cable set or i may try it myself :whistle:

DIY - very easy.

Kies

Have a go first .... Use youtube. If you make a complete hash of it .... Evans will still be there,and you will have learned something

OP
OP
M

Mallory

I'm tied between replacing all my cables (bike is over 4 years) with shimano and thread thru existing outers or replacing everything with jag wire. I only replaced my bar tape in the autumn and am reluctant to rip it off LOL

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well, could have been worse. I thought you were going to say the frame snapped! Broken cables are just something we learn to deal with.

OP
OP
M

Mallory

Well, could have been worse. I thought you were going to say the frame snapped! Broken cables are just something we learn to deal with.

Good god :-0

Must remember to now carry some insulation tape in case that happens ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cables don't snap unless the rider has allowed them to get frayed or bent repeatedly. Good maintenance and regular checks are the key.

Rear derailleur cables need regular servicing especially if you ride in a wet salty environment.

OP
OP
M

Mallory

Cables don't snap unless the rider has allowed them to get frayed or bent repeatedly. Good maintenance and regular checks are the key.

Rear derailleur cables need regular servicing especially if you ride in a wet salty environment.

Pope is catholic

Horse bolted & stable door

Yes to all of the above.

Thankfully it wasn't my break cables!!

Riding home stuck on 50/11 was different.Grrrrr

Now I've also realised the derailleur outer casing I put in my back pocket fell out en-route home!!!

Is 31cm a good length for DA 7800 as I've now nothing to compare when I install my new set!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The length doesn't seem to affect the quality of operation; what's important is that the cable inner and outer are clean and dry. I usually drip some Finish Line chain lube onto my fingers and run the cable through them before fitting it.

The best investment you can make as a home mechanic is a cable cutter; Park Tools are expensive but the best. Then you can buy a couple of metres of cable outer and some ferrules as well as some spare inners and end caps and change them whenever you think the shifting is getting bad. Usually just a new rear outer will do the trick and sometimes you can get away with cleaning the inner with wire wool.

Don't over-tighten the cable clamps or you will distort the cable and cause the strands to separate.

Top Bottom