Green boxes at junctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
jimboalee said:
Personally, I don't see the point of ASLs. At a line of stopped vehicles, what cyclist in their right mind would plonk themselves directly in front of the forward most car. That, IMHO, is asking for abuse and a nudge.
The body language of a cyclist who rides up the kerbside and then moves to the center of the ASL box, right in front of the traffic, is far from being perceived as friendly.
In an argument between a car and a cyclist, the motorist might get a fine or a ban, but the cyclist gets a wheelchair.
As for motor bikes in the ASL box, that's called 'safety in numbers'.

Asking for abuse and a nudge ? I don't think so. If there's a cycle lane up the left that leads into an ASL, the cyclist is perfectly (and legally) entitled to use them.

I'm a cyclist in my right mind (at least, that's what we tell ourselves :evil:), and I can out-accelerate cars away from an ASL. By the time they get going I'm way ahead !

However, I do sometimes just sit in the traffic rather than filtering (which I usually do on the RIGHT, ignoring the silly red lane up the inside). Then I can draft the car in front and expend less energy....

Top Bottom