Green Cross Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I've said it before, but I find that bellowing in full operatic voice - "Wake up lil' Susie - wake up" or "Hello" - "is it me you're looking for" (or any similar - Look up to the tune of go west). tends to shake them from their reverie.

Beware of startled pedestrians in the road jumping backwards into the gap that you are aiming to ride. I think this behaviour is the cause of many ped-cyclist collisions in the road. I am not aware of any cyclist who aims at where the pedestrian are or where the pedestrian can be projected to be at time of intercept.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Beware of startled pedestrians in the road jumping backwards into the gap that you are aiming to ride. I think this behaviour is the cause of many ped-cyclist collisions in the road. I am not aware of any cyclist who aims at where the pedestrian are or where the pedestrian can be projected to be at time of intercept.
I think some aim to pass far enough in front that they should be clear, but then the zombie wakes up to the fact they're in a live traffic lane and starts running: crunch!

Most of the time, if the cyclist passes outside the area a walker might trip or fall into (2m backwards, a bit more forwards), it'll be safe, but far too many city riders seem to close pass walkers at high speed when they should have slowed to jogging pace at most. I don't understand why most other countries can cope with this and Brits can't. Is it because our cycling is still racing-dominated, all about average speeds and segments and koms and weight and power meters?

icowden

Veteran
I don't understand why most other countries can cope with this and Brits can't. Is it because our cycling is still racing-dominated, all about average speeds and segments and koms and weight and power meters?

I've always wondered if it is the same people who don't understand stopping distances in cars. It's the same principle after all. You should always be riding in such a way that you have sufficient time to stop if the smombie is unpredictable - not least because hitting things on a bike hurts you as well! Some of the more MAMIL types tend not to want to stop or slow for anything as the road is their racetrack as far as I can see.

Reactions: mjr

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I nearly took one out today.

I also wonder if the quiet roads of lockdown are what has led to a spate of zombies walking straight across side roads without looking. I seem to encounter someone doing this every time I turn into our street off the main road.
I had this problem with tourists who seem to think our Main Street is a pedestrian zone and wander about paying no notice to any traffic. When I cycled along several times per day I developed a brake with a very loud squeal. I waited until nearly on them and then braked hard. Naughty but very satisfying.

Top Bottom