Green Spain 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well after having to cancel last year's planned trip to northern Spain and going this year looking iffy, when I got an e mail this morning from Brittany ferries saying that you could book for 2022 and use the cancellation voucher we had, we thought we'd best get something in the diary even if it was a way off. So have booked sailings Portsmouth to Santander for May 2022, fingers crossed covid is a fading memory by then!

Chris S

Legendary Member
You've effectively given them an interest free loan.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
You've effectively given them an interest free loan.
They've had nearly 500 quid of my money since last January, think I can live with forgoing the fiver or so it would have made me had it been in my bank account to secure the booking, especially as there are only going to be two sailings a week at the moment and some cabins were already booked out. Thanks for your concern though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They've had nearly 500 quid of my money since last January, think I can live with forgoing the fiver or so it would have made me had it been in my bank account to secure the booking, especially as there are only going to be two sailings a week at the moment and some cabins were already booked out. Thanks for your concern though.
I agree with your sentiment re: pish poor interest rates but..... You just never know who or when a company may go bust, so my view currently is that it is safer in my account earning nowt than disappearing into an insolvency black hole!
Having said that, £500 isn't a fortune for some and it is always good to have something exciting to look forward to, which is well worth 0.01% interest in my book :okay:

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
A voucher was the only option when we cancelled last year's trip so not risking any 'new' money whatever happens, apart from 50 quids worth of theatre tickets we got full refunds on everything else that was covid affected so even if Brittany ferries go bust before next May in the scheme of things and compared to many people we'd have little to complain about.

I call that "doing business". If you want to call it a loan, then I find that odd, but whatever ...

If you paid by credit card you may have some way of retrieving your money.
Hope it works out because green Spain is fab bike touring country.

And silly me thought this was a touring forum :banghead:

@Dave Davenport if it all seems too far away, scour whatever shops you can for Spanish food (&wine!^_^), throw on some Flamenco music on Youtube and have a "Spanish evening" after a day's ride!

If you're more adventurous, try making some Spanish food! A Tortilla (de patata) is great bike fuel!

And all that extra time lends itself to learning some Spanish! Duolingo is free and there are oodles of resources online. You don't "need" it, but touring is better with a few words.

Buen viaje!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
..or securing a lower price by booking early.. different ways of looking at things.

I know the OP says he's fine with the arrangement and ultimately, that's all that matters.

But technically, if he's been given £500 in vouchers, and 2022 prices go up, he's at a loss. Also, they've had his £500 for two years to do as they please, so effectively, it's a free loan to them. For example, if they returned his £500 in April 2020 and he'd invested in the stock market over the summer, he could have benefited from a 30% upturn since then, so £500 could have become £650.

Of course, this is relative and may not be important for some people.

PS - I think it's great that we can start thinking about ferries and panniers and accommodation. Just lifts the spirits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Davenport
And silly me thought this was a touring forum :banghead:

@Dave Davenport if it all seems too far away, scour whatever shops you can for Spanish food (&wine!^_^), throw on some Flamenco music on Youtube and have a "Spanish evening" after a day's ride!

If you're more adventurous, try making some Spanish food! A Tortilla (de patata) is great bike fuel!

And all that extra time lends itself to learning some Spanish! Duolingo is free and there are oodles of resources online. You don't "need" it, but touring is better with a few words.

Buen viaje!

View attachment 582892

View attachment 582893

We've toured quite a bit in Spain, mostly the north. I've been to Spanish language classes and can get by ok, well get what we want to eat/drink, ask directions etc. at any rate and even if I say so myself I can rustle up a pretty good tortilla de patatas.

Top Bottom