green tea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
There has been some proper research on the health benefits of green tea. No different to black (i.e. normal) tea apparently, so it's just down to which you prefer.

Caffeine-sensitivity varies a lot. I find I can't sleep if I drink tea in the evening and coffee at any time sends me completely loopy.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Bald Eagle, how does the tea taste now?

toontra

Veteran
As someone who only drinks green tea (because I don't like milk and green tastes better black), I've always wondered about the lower temperature thing. So I've invested in a Morphy Richards kettle which has a dual temperature control, allowing it to switch off at 80 or 100. Ironically it shows the 100 as being for tea and 80 for coffee.

Anyway, the 80 water does indeed seem to give a better flavour, although as I drink decaf (Clipper) I don't think the tea is of the highest quality to appreciate the difference.

Another advantage is that you can drink the tea straight away rather than wait for 5 minutes or risk burning your mouth. Oh, and I guess it saves on electricity.

Back to OP: Green tea is meant to dissolve, emulsify or otherwise prevent the body from absorbing fats. Drink it at meal or snack times and its alleged that it stops you turning in into a bloater. Was told by a chinese crew I worked with that geen tea was the key reason that you didn't see older generation fat boys (youngsters drank less green tea and more fanta / coke and were gettin distinctly rolly-poly). Said "yeah" but thought 'what about the famine then, isn't that the main reason' but read research later that backed up what they said.

And did they love their food. Each shift had a dedicated cook and every time I turned up on the barge, I was given plenty of tea and a special meal, regardless of time of day.

Top Bottom