Greenfly

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jacqui, 18 May 2010.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Hi

Not sure which section this should go in ( I thought about the nutrition as I have swallowed loads of the things) .

Anyway there seems to be some sort of greenfly plague any tips on how to avoid getting the in nose , mouth eys etc as I know I need to keep breathing.

I did see some cotton scarf type thingys is TK maxx and thought they might be a good ideas as I has already swallowed several flys when cycling along the canal a few weeks ago.

Jacqui

2. Alien8

Alien8 Senior Moment

For greenfly try one of these:

[​IMG]

3. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

Breathe through your nose.

4. gps315

gps315 Well-Known Member

I wear a buff around my neck and pull it up to cover my mouth and nose when near the river or end up eating half the flies....do look a bit like a bank robber.....

5. Hont

Hont Veteran

Hazard of the season unfortunately. Eyewear should stop them going in your eyes if you use wraparound frames that fit snugly to your face.

I guess you could try a scarf if it really is that bad but it will make you hotter in warm weather and won't help your breathing much.

6. jayonabike

jayonabike Powered by caffeine & whisky

I might have to get one of those. I went out for a ride earlier, about 5 miles of it was down an old dis-used railway line. By the time i got back on the road i was covered in greenfly, and eaten more than my daily quota.

7. Garz

Garz Squat Member

Had this happen on yesterdays ride, yes loads were freeloading till I descended at 40mph mwahahaha!

8. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Yes covered in the buggers and swallowed a couple i reckon, certainly Gobbed a few out.

They seem to make a greenfly line for nose,mouth and ears :smile:

9. Svendo

Svendo Veteran

+1 . Swallowed a few flying ants today too.

10. Eaten loads; mmm plenty of protein.

At least they don't bite (unless you are a plant).

11. arallsopp

arallsopp Post of The Year 2009 winner

Yup. Loads in South East London today. Particularly around the commons / green spaces. They were evidently well fed, as most were plenty juicy, exploding in little verdant bursts on my tongue.

12. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Swarms last night. I thought it had started raining until I realised I wasn't getting wet.

Good job they're not the size of crows.

13. Seamab

Seamab Senior Member

Covered in them yesterday. I applied sunscreen for the first time this year and came back in looking like a fly trap!

Amazing since i had been on some of the same roads on Sunday when it was cooler and there were none.

14. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

Fantastic :biggrin:

I got covered in the buggers yesterday, they hitched a lift all the way home (creating lord alone knows how much extra drag) and then dissapeared in the direction of my tomato plants as soon as I stopped.

Bar-stewards.

15. Where did you go? I went out for a lap of Loch Leven in the evening and was surprised there was none, there can be thousands there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice