Greetings from a place near Wimbledon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Hi, I'm David the Decorator. It's very nice to finally become an active member of what is arguably the best cycling forum I've seen. So a bit about me.
Well I'm 36 engaged, twin boys, ex-wife, self employed, etc etc.

I got back on my 14 year old Concept Conquest MTB a few months ago after a break of three years and have spent quite a bit upgrading it.
I have quite a few hobbies and interests and a fairly good sense of humor as a quick glance at my profile would tell you.

In fact I was once told by someone that if I wanted a friend I'd have to knit them, mind you I was a pipe smoker at the time.

So back to cycling. I cycle to work mainly which is mainly in South West London. As I don't drive this is my main form of transport. I hate using public transport. I am planning a cycling tour in September maybe even this year to Whitstable in Kent. I appreciate most of you probably go further but for now that'll do for me.

I work, I'm a Decorator/ small builder, own business.

I've been looking for a cycling buddy for months and have come to the conclusion that such things don't exist after posting numerous ads on cycling forums and craigslist.

I'm not much good at these sorts of introductions and theres much more to know about me. All the best.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hey David and welcome to CycleChat.

I grew up in Morden (on the ST Helier Estate) and Wimbledon so know the place well.
I thought that there was nowhere worse then Morden but then I moved to Orpington...

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Morden is fine. We've never had any trouble in the two years we've been here but then we don't live on a council estate. All the local shopkeepers seem pleasant enough. Every barrel has some bad apples.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Morden got better when I left
thumbsup.png

Anyway.. Pollards Hills cyclists are a very good group if you are looking for riding buddies.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I married a Morden Girl, so it aint all bad and our eldest was born in St Hellier!
Otherwise, you have my sympathy ;) .

There's good riding to be done from Morden, either up-town via the A24 or out of town into the N. Downs.
I'm sure you'll find a buddy soon.
Oh, btw, there's always the Cheam and Morden CTC.

Cheers, FF.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I know Morden well!

Welcome to CC!

We do rides here often - check out the informal rides section!
What kind or rides/what type of ride buddy were you looking for?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
:ohmy: Guess I must be a bandit!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, check out the Cheam and Morden - they leave the Victoria Crossroads at 9 on a Sunday morning for something like a 65 mile trip with stops for elevenses and lunch.

And check out the FNRttC, which used to go through Morden until we discovered the delights of Sutton. We're going to Brighton in October. Link below

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Erm 65 miles. A bit further than I've gone so far. In fact I've only really been going to work and back distance wise, no more than 14 miles each way.
Thanks for the offer but where you've got a club you've got very fit and very fast riders which frankly I'm not. On a ride like that I'd just slow everyone up.
The main reason I was looking for a single cycling buddy i.e. one person was so that I could go on the odd day out into London or Surrey with the occasional ride to the coast or the country or maybe evn train and ride at my own pace with a friend.
Like a relaxing cycling minibreak every so often for two.
For instance this year I want to go to Jaywick or Whitstable preferably both.
Next year I'd like to cycle around the Forest of Dean villages and Cotswolds and cycle the trans pennine way.
Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough in my other posts :sad:

I just read your post, David and it might serve you to read all about the Friday Night Rides. http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/
"...at conversational pace..." is all you need to start a thought process. dellzeqq, above has seen many like you join in and go from strength to strength re: cycling abilities, without compromising their own particular 'ethos' (like you describe in your posts).
The rest is down to you and how it can fit in with your family and work. ;)

Top Bottom