Greetings from .... Bangkok!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I loved bangkok, such a great city....it`s so cheap.

The food is amazing, public transport is amazing, infact so is the taxis, we never took a tuk-tuk anywhere

hated chinatown just to busy for me and to easy to get lost, the grand palce is also very busy the sky bar at the lebeu state tower is very much worth the money, it`s very expensive but worth every penny..

nana plaza is great for having a beer, there was a street vendor just at the entrance of the nana plaza that done the most amazing noodle souple, it tasted so fresh and cost about 50 pence

we had a cracking night on the khao san road but again it`s very busy but a great night

the food courts at the massive shopping malls in siam square are also worth a visit, you could spend days just going around them massive malls

tug benson

Also in when you go to thailand it helps if you like beer, christ they have beer with everything, i loved chang beer...also the thai whiskey which is more like a rum blows the nut of you, the girlfriend got hammered on the stuff when we went to the khao san road, she was ill all the next day

tug benson

the thai women are stunning and if i end up single anytime soon the first place i am going to is bangkok

U

User482

Also in when you go to thailand it helps if you like beer, christ they have beer with everything, i loved chang beer...also the thai whiskey which is more like a rum blows the nut of you, the girlfriend got hammered on the stuff when we went to the khao san road, she was ill all the next day
Hah! The Changover. I still shudder at the memory..

Durian

Über Member
FF, sounds as though you're enjoying yourself in Bangkok. I'm slightly worried you may be missing out on your favourite programme whilst you're here.

So, Hardtalk can be seen at 1130am and 330pm.!!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
FF, sounds as though you're enjoying yourself in Bangkok. I'm slightly worried you may be missing out on your favourite programme whilst you're here.

So, Hardtalk can be seen at 1130am and 330pm.!!
LOL!!!
I've avoided it so far!
I tried to wake-uo for the Olympic coverage and missed it by an hour and a half! Saw the last bit and then slept all morning.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Everyone, thanks for all the recommendations! Much appreciated, though I fear will have to sue some for a (hopeful) next trip.

So, I'm here with a colleague, similarly aged and a recent recent divorcee. So last night (our first night by ourselves) we walked the streets of Patpong, took some beer and food and soaked-up the atmosphere. I left him to it and took a Tuk-Tuk back to the hotel.
We reconvened this morning, both a bit sleep deprived and mildly hungover. We walked the back-streets and markets up to the Bankok Palace where I stayed 23 years ago on my honeymoon. My colleague is less enamoured of street-food than I and feeling delicate we went for fairly safe options :sad: rather than street vendors. The other issue we have to be mindful of is that we will be visiting food factories in China in a few days and cannot afford to be in any kind of gastro-sickness otherwise we'll not be allowed in.
We Tuk-Tuck'd to the river and took a boat trip as the Palace and temples were closed in the afternoon, next time we'll plan better. But we've had a great day and soaked-up a lot of atmosphere and had a lot of fun.
Tomorrow we're catching an A380 to Hong Kong around Midday, so not much then. We'll eat close tonight and lay off the beers. We have a hard day Tues with a lot of pressure so we need to be in good fettle.
Looking forward to HK.

If all goes well, we'll be coming back and we'll be bolder and better planned.
FF

Durian

Über Member
If you and your colleague do get back to Thailand, and if your colleague is in to cycling, get yourselves up here. Great food, amazing cycling and it's cheaper than Bangkok and not so manic!

Hope your trip to Hong Kong goes well and I'm envious of you flying on the 380.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

If you and your colleague do get back to Thailand, and if your colleague is in to cycling, get yourselves up here. Great food, amazing cycling and it's cheaper than Bangkok and not so manic!

Cheers!
Our offices and our customer are both based in and around Bangkok, so probably not much chance to get up north, but appreciate the invite.
The A380 bit was a pleasnnt surprise, it was the cheapest ticket from Bangkok to HK. I'm looking forward to it.

I absolutely love Thailand ....

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

Chiang Mai is my favourite place in the world. I have friends there. Hopefully, April next year I will be paying a long overdue visit as my friends have been moaning that I haven't came over to Thailand in almost 2 years.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Chiang Mai is my favourite place in the world. I have friends there. Hopefully, April next year I will be paying a long overdue visit as my friends have been moaning that I haven't came over to Thailand in almost 2 years.
It was a big regret when I last came here 23 years ago for my Honeymoon, we did not visit Cjaing Mai. One day hopefully...

I have a strong opportunity to work in Asia (Singapore) but timing with the kids starting Uni is not good. Maybe later.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
It was a big regret when I last came here 23 years ago for my Honeymoon, we did not visit Cjaing Mai. One day hopefully...

I have a strong opportunity to work in Asia (Singapore) but timing with the kids starting Uni is not good. Maybe later.

Once I finish my Masters, I'm planning to head out to Asia.

Durian

Über Member

I've been fortunate enough to travel to many areas of the world and Chiang Mai is about the best place I've seen to live.

April is both a good time and a bad time to visit, Songkran, the water festival, takes place and if you've been before you'll know what a hoot that is! The slight downer is that it's the hottest time of the year and it's also the burning season when the whole of Northern Thailand, Laos and Burma burn the rice fields. It was awful here last year as your friends may tell you.

Don't know if you're in to cricket but they also hold the Chiang Mai cricket six a side competition in April, never mind if you don't like cricket, there's always the bar!

Top Bottom