Greetings from Hà Nội

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhwhite

Greetings all!

About me: I live and work in Hanoi, Vietnam as a teacher. I have a music degree (which is why I couldn't get a job in England) and play a mean guitar. The rest is a bit boring so I'll jump to the mutual interest part...

Sport stuff: I have been a slighty overweight, computer gaming, food scoffer since I left school. About a year ago I was asked to join a Japanese 7-a-side football team for friendly Sunday games (we play the same Vietnamese side every week). Having become moderately fit (having been woefully unfit, seriously, I used to find climbing stairs challenging) I have been looking for something else to really boost my fitness, shift a few extra kgs and shrink the annoying shaped stomach. I'm 5ft 11 and 14 stone (89 kg) for those that want to know.

I'd been pretty grumpy over Christmas as been off football with a broken big toe and an ankle sprain for a few weeks and my girlfriend surprised me on Christmas day with a bicycle. After a brief holiday in Siem Reap (very nice) I started cycling last Sunday and I'm instantly hooked. It takes me right back to my childhood (I'm 32 so I like to think it's not too long ago). I live directly next to West lake (Ho Tay) which is as good a 10 mile circuit as I think you'll find anywhere. I've redden around every day since I started (only 5 times) and I've surprised myself by completing the route in 40 mins (15 mph ave) which I think is pretty good considering the fact I'm using a single-geared florescent green road bike (all the rage here) with a front brake and you have to cycle backwards for the rear brake. It cost my girlfriend 2,000,000 VND which is less than it sounds. The course isn't too hilly, thankfully, as the single gear is brutal when going up hill... I'm already looking at upgrades, but I'm going to see if this is just a fad that I stop next week or whether I can keep it up for a few months before investing.

So I've given up the fast foods and daily cans of coke, lets see how long this lasts.

Shaun

Founder
Hello, and welcome to CycleChat. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums jhwhite:hello:

Top Bottom