Greetings!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fez

Hi all,

Thought I'd come say hi as I'm new here. Only really got into road biking over the last 18 months, I started like I'm sure many others have:

"It's 11pm in the pub, I'm pretty hammered yet you want me to come for a ride at 9am with you and your buddies? Sure, ok!"

Since then I've been pretty keen, but I've been riding a friends Dawes bike that is pretty unforgiving and too small for me.

One of my main reasons for joining this forum is to hopefully pick the brains of the wealth of knowledge here. I've just started my quest for my first bike, I've spent a while looking and reading but there seems to be a startling trend of people talking up certain brands and slamming others. The main advice offered to me so far is that between now and Feb is the time to buy for a novice, as I'll be able to cash in on buying a new 'older' model as the 2013 gear is now out, or find a top second hand offer.

The main advice I'm after is really to do with rider position and suitable bikes for me to check out. I'm 6'4" and have a bit of sketchy back so a really low racing position isn't really ideal for me. Friends I have spoken to have all recommended the Specialized Secteur to me saying that it should tick all my boxes as it is a quick enough bike with a more relaxed riding position. I've googled but can't really find anything relevant to my question. Can anyone offer any insight to this?

I realise trialling a bike is key. I live in Birmingham so am going to go and try a Secteur at the concept store at Fort Dunlop. The trouble is that I can't really afford to spend any more than £700 so a 2013 model from the concept store isn't really realistic.

I apologise for the unashamed nature of this newbie post, it was mainly to say hi before I go trawling through past posts trying to find the shining light! :smile:

All the best,

Fez

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: to cycle chat, Fez, somebody will promptly come along to answer all your questions, for sure.
Enjoy your cycling!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd suggest wandering around a few bike shops and seeing what they suggest.
On your bike (Bradford Street, Digbeth) is a good place to start, as is Evans, Scott cycles, Northfied Cycles, etc. See what they suggest, but looks like a road-orientated hybrid is what you are looking for. The Secteur has dropped handlebars, but the frame geometry is more about a relaxed ride, and therefore targeted at longer distance light touring (see also "Audax Bike"). Compare this to the Specialized Allez or Tarmac which have a more agressive position, or race orientation. The Specialized Sirrus may be more the thing that you are looking for with flat handlebars, but, IIRC, the same frame as the Secteur.

Each of the big guys will offer a similar machine. Look, try, but remember that each salesperson comes with their own prejudices and ideas. You can offer a spec to 5 salespeople from the same store (what you want to do, how you want to do it, price), and will get 5 different suggestions.

Top Bottom