Grenoble to Briançon (D1091) closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK so it's closed in June. BTW has anyone ridden along the RS1091.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
can anybody confirm if this road is still open or has it closed again. thanks
I second that. I'll be riding through it on June 28th, although I personally saw the alternative route (RS1091) last September, and it looks easy enough to ride (although I wasn't on a bike at the time).

Last edited:

busdennis

Veteran
looking on strava its open for cycling but i'm checking for the car. i plan to cycling via the Telegraphe and meet the Mrs at the top of the Galibier and then drive on to bourg d oisans

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I second that. I'll be riding through it on June 28th, although I personally saw the alternative route (RS1091) last September, and it looks easy enough to ride (although I wasn't on a bike at the time).
Hautes-Alpes website saying it's closed till 13 July:

• D1091 Grand tunnel du Chambon en Isère, la route est fermée pour cause de travaux de construction depuis le 6/03/17 à 11:25, jusqu au 13/07/17 à 8:00, . Déviation : par les routes nationales 94, et 85 via Gap, ou par Chambéry, et le tunnel du Fréjus, tarif réduit sous conditions (renseignements auprès des Offices de tourisme).

I'm assuming that the rather stunning-looking road on the other side of the lake is open to cyclists.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hautes-Alpes website saying it's closed till 13 July:

• D1091 Grand tunnel du Chambon en Isère, la route est fermée pour cause de travaux de construction depuis le 6/03/17 à 11:25, jusqu au 13/07/17 à 8:00, . Déviation : par les routes nationales 94, et 85 via Gap, ou par Chambéry, et le tunnel du Fréjus, tarif réduit sous conditions (renseignements auprès des Offices de tourisme).

I'm assuming that the rather stunning-looking road on the other side of the lake is open to cyclists.
RS1091 it is, then. :okay: Looks like a nice enough route, from what I saw before.

busdennis

Veteran
thanks for the help. i may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but are you saying its open for cycling but closed to motor vehicles

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
thanks for the help. i may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but are you saying its open for cycling but closed to motor vehicles
The main road is shut for all vehicles
As far as I can see the main road north of the lake (D1091) is completely closed to traffic, the Route se Secours south of the lake (RS1091) is open to bikes and local/light traffic at all times (unless it's closed for any unexpoected safety reasons) http://www.hautes-alpes.fr/evenement/752/1639-actualite.htm

Top Bottom