Grenoble to Briançon (D1091) closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Just in case you're planning a tour taking in this road, it's likely to be closed for the foreseeable future, as the Tunnel de Chambon is on the move, along with 250,000 tonnes of hillside. It's been closed since April, when they were thinking they could patch a section of the tunnel, but in the past few days the whole hillside has moved a bit towards the lake, and not surprisingly, they've abandoned work for the time being. It's a major disaster for the tourist industry there, as it makes the valley a dead end from both sides, and there are no easy alternative routes. They are even now talking about children having to attend completely different schools, as their normal ones are inaccessible.

They are talking about spending 5m euros on making a single-track road for local traffic on the opposite side of the lake, but even if started straight away, won't be ready till November.

It's all a bit grim. If you are in any doubt about how bad it is, here are a couple of photos ... one of them in the tunnel a day or so before abandoning work on it, and the second of the slipping hillside above the tunnel:

tunnel-chambon-voute-demolie-isere.jpg

go-with-afp-story-by-antoine-agasse-a-photo-shows-the-entrance-of-the-chambon-tunnel-between-the.jpg

Implications for Stage 20 of the tour and has already caused a re-routing of La Marmotte as it has shut the Lauteret descent back to Bourg D'Oisans. My next door neighbour was in the area a couple of weeks ago and was told by locals that that simple remedial work will be insufficient to sort this out.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Implications for Stage 20 of the tour and has already caused a re-routing of La Marmotte as it has shut the Lauteret descent back to Bourg D'Oisans. My next door neighbour was in the area a couple of weeks ago and was told by locals that that simple remedial work will be insufficient to sort this out.
Indeed. I reckon if the stuff doesn't fall into the lake by itself, they might think about helping it along, but I suspect it might be years rather than months before the main road is open again. They've stopped boats using the lake because of the risks of 250,000 tonnes of rocks falling into it. Prior to that locals had been trying to make a lakeside track along the shoreline under the tunnel.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They are talking about spending 5m euros on making a single-track road for local traffic on the opposite side of the lake, but even if started straight away, won't be ready till November.
There's a possible bike route on the south side of the lake, here (geoportail link)

From the lakeside at the bottom of the Ravin de Darrere back to the Lauteret road is rideable jeep track, but the section up/down the hill to Cuculet is all hidden by trees in the aerial photos, and it's footpath at the Cuculet end - still, it's not that far to have to walk.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There's a possible bike route on the south side of the lake, here (geoportail link)

From the lakeside at the bottom of the Ravin de Darrere back to the Lauteret road is rideable jeep track, but the section up/down the hill to Cuculet is all hidden by trees in the aerial photos, and it's footpath at the Cuculet end - still, it's not that far to have to walk.
I'm guessing that that is the track they are talking about making into a proper (single track) road. I did see a video somewhere of the locals trying to make it more accessible, I think.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
From this link, they are saying that all work will cease on the tunnel until the land slippage into the lake has occurred - they seem certain it will. Assuming it doesn't damage the dam they are saying that the 'rive gauche' solution would be a road of 5.3km and 3.5m wide on the opposite side of the lake to the tunnel, with passing places, for vehicles up to 19 tonnes.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Quite a nice English summary of the situation at present, including a nice bit of video of more stuff falling into the tunnel: http://www.2alpesnet.com/news/the-chambon-tunnel-when-will-the-mountain-fall-685794

bianchi1

Guru
I'm out that way at the moment, staying just up the valley in Vaujany. The road up from Grenoble seems a bit quieter than normal with all traffic to Briancon being sent via Gap or Italy, but mostly it must be a nightmare for anyone living in Bourg who has to regularly travel on that stretch.

On the plus side I have had to cancel my plans to cycle up the Galibier and have another cold beer instead!

theloafer

Legendary Member
I'm out that way at the moment, staying just up the valley in Vaujany. The road up from Grenoble seems a bit quieter than normal with all traffic to Briancon being sent via Gap or Italy, but mostly it must be a nightmare for anyone living in Bourg who has to regularly travel on that stretch.

On the plus side I have had to cancel my plans to cycle up the Galibier and have another cold beer instead!

but you will have missed a great view ^_^ ....almost at the top
70090-ac32f538bc5d935f58bd9b8b596c148f.jpg

70091-7606cb47b102b3450c044efc98494df0.jpg

Top Bottom