Grinding paste over cogs, chain, spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacLean

Hi All,

I do lube my bike but it has gone all thick black around the cogs and chain and looks like thick black grinding paste now!

Its all over the plastic disc thing behind the largest cog on the rear aswell and although I cba cleaning it really, its niggling at me cos its looking pretty rotten now... Should I clean and re-lube or is not necessary really?

Also when it was new my bike would glide along without any clicking when pushing it.... Now it has started clicking and is this good or bad or what? Should I lube something in the wheel or is it not a big issue really?

Any guides around with info on all this stuff?

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I use the mickle method. I'd recommend using something like a citrus-degreaser on the bits that are very heavily choked with the black paste (though some will probably disagree). You do need to be very careful in application not to de-grease any wheel-bearings etc.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe the reason its so clogged with much is because you dont wipe away the excess after lubing it and allowing the lube to coat the working parts?

Lube, let it "soak in" spin the cranks a bit, then wipe away the excess. This wont leave sticky residue on the chain etc for muck to stick to.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

I did wipe the excess off the chain, but I think I attempted to lube the cogs aswell for some reason.... Do the cogs actually need lubed at all?

When I done it I watched a few you tube videos and the problem is there are so many people with different advice I dont think there really is a correct way, just develop your own wee system. Which I am in the process of doing now lol.

redjedi

Über Member
You don't need to lube the cogs, just the chain, and only a little bit.

I also made the mistake of lubing the cogs when I got my first proper bike a few ago :rofl:

The black stuff is the lube. Spray some on a plate and it will start clear but turn black.

Try to use the lube that comes in little bottles rather than sprays.

MacLean said:
When I done it I watched a few you tube videos and the problem is there are so many people with different advice I dont think there really is a correct way, just develop your own wee system. Which I am in the process of doing now lol.

Wee is definitely not a good lube. Trust me.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
mickle said:

But the ammonia in it may have degreasing properties :evil::rofl:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh... I have to say ... I like that pink chain ... I want:biggrin: (is it only for BMX style bikes or can you put it on any bikes? - or would that be too uncool?)

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
mickle said:

Not a good lube, but a great de-snowing liquid, as proven by someone I know who's drivechain seized up when out on a hilly MTB ride in January this year! ;)

Top Bottom