Gripshift with "road" gears ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Rowling

I've used Gripshift many years. I've got Gripshift X7 on SRAM X5 gears and I've got Gripshift Attack on Shimano gears (an old mountain bike).

Now, I want a "hybrid" - lightweight, skinnyish (28 / 32) tyres, flat bar. Most seem to come with Shimano road gears rather than the mountain bike gears I'm used to. That's fine, provided I can still use Gripshift.

So, I know there are Gripshift versions for both SRAM and Shimano gears (MTB), but do they work with road gears eg Shimano Sora, Tiagra, 105 ? And any SRAM road gears ? I am only looking at 9 speed as I don't want the expense of 10 speed.

If Gripshift only works with MTB gears (SRAM and Shimano) then I need to look accordingly.

If anyone has actually tried Gripshift with road gears or has reliable information, then I will be very pleased to hear from you.

Best Regards
Will Rowling

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a mtb with twist shift linked to a road rear deraillier +cassette and it works fine.If the cable pull is the same ie shimano to shimano for example and the number of gears = number on the shifter you should be ok.

OP
OP
W

Will Rowling

Thank you Cyberknight - that sounds like good news. Can you tell me which Gripshift model you have and which derailler you have please ?

OP
OP
W

Will Rowling

So this is a Shimano twister with Shimano road gears. Perhaps Revoshift was designed for MTB gears ... I'm not sure.
Thank you for the information ... and your free bike is looking pretty good !

If anyone else has experience of mixing Gripshift and road gears, then I will be very interested to hear from you :bicycle:

OP
OP
W

Will Rowling

I know this isn't the right forum ... but so far, this is the best forum software I've ever used :rolleyes:(I'm a new boy)

Top Bottom