Free bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Picked up a Raliegh duo tech MTB last week from freecycle and i have been building it up over the weekend .
Titanium top and down tube with cro-moly rear triangle and forks.
marathon plus tyres
Used a 8 speed rear cassete with 1 less sprocket to run as a 7 speed , along with 8 speed shifter i had in stock along with a 2300 rear mech and it seems to shift very nicely .Front mech is original with a friction twist shifter.
grips from satnavsaysstraighton .
Added spd pedals,changed the stem to a aheadset converter and added a modern stem/bar combo .
It needs a good clean but i wanted to get it on the road
Just got to install brake cables and new blocks and its ready to roll :smile:
1 003.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks good

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I read somewhere that the Ti was sourced cheaply from Russia as the US military and NASA were hoovering up all the good stuff.

wisdom

Guru
The magic word in the post is "fun"You enjoyed making it ready to use,Its nice to see your labours and you have a decent bike to use.Good luck

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What exactly is 'freecycle'?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

What exactly is 'freecycle'?
Freecycle is a internet based organisation where people give things away that they do not need that others might have a use for , you can also place adverts for things you might need.
In reality it tends to be that an offer will be posted and professional car - booters or ebayers will pounce and beat you to anything on offer and the wanted adverts can be for some pretty specific things "chestefield sofa " and "everything needed for new house " are examples.
I have had a couple of bikes over the years from my local freecycle site and they have all been full suss MTB that are BSO`s that i ended up either stripping or just scrapping so although the above bike is by no means a top of the line mint bike for nothing its pretty good .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Freecycle, or Freegle as it calls its self now, is good for finding things. I asked for a back wheel for an old MTB and got a response from someone within 10 mins who had a couple. He only lived a mile away and was about to take them to the tip! My gain... 2 x 26" back wheels to sort out the buckled on on my 'spare' bike.
Go to ~FREEGLE~ to find you local group.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

This will probably be for sale now !
Changed the tyres to some new slicks , obviously pedals not included and brakes all installed.
I think tbh it needs new chainrings as you can get a bit of slip if you really put some torque through the pedals but rides smoothly enough.
i would love to spend the time doing it up to mint but i have not got the time to do all i want to it which would involve new powder coating etc etc so i am trying to convince swmbo if i sell it i can put the money to a new bike .
No idea what its worth , should i stick it on a retro forum as i am liable to get more for it ?

Top Bottom