Grommets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody here had this procedure done?

I`ve had my ears full of fluid since I had the lurgy about 6 weeks ago, and there`s no sign of it getting any better (it`s made my life hell, I`m not sleeping, or eating - I`ve lost over a stone though^_^, and got no interest in anything that I love, all because I feel like I`m permanently under water).

Having spent 100`s on sprays, prescriptions, breathing in steam, etc and being fobbed off by the doctors three times now I`ve really had enough, and am going to the Nuffield for an examination, and if necessary (over the phone it sounded like it will be) grommets fitted. I have no idea what to expect, and there is a choice of local or general anaesthetic, I really don`t like the idea of being awake while my ears are stabbed with a needlexx(.

Even if this cleared up tomorrow (fat chance...........) I would still want it done, because from now on every time I get a cold/flu/lurgy I`m going to be terrified that this is all going to happen all over again.

Experiences please?

MichaelO

Veteran
I haven't had them, but my son did a few years ago. He had "glue ear" problems, which was effecting his hearing (and therefore effecting school). He had general anaesthetic, because of his age, I guess. They worked a treat - huge improvement immediately - so much so, that he was complaining everything was too loud!

They eventually fall out, but leave the ear drum more open than it was before.

OP
OP
I
I haven't had them, but my son did a few years ago. He had "glue ear" problems, which was effecting his hearing (and therefore effecting school). He had general anaesthetic, because of his age, I guess. They worked a treat - huge improvement immediately - so much so, that he was complaining everything was too loud!
Thanks, that`s the sort of answer I wanted!! I will push for general though, I don`t want to be awake while they do it. That`s a first too, never had a general anaesthetic before

OP
OP
I

Thanks, that`s the sort of answer I wanted!! I will push for general though, I don`t want to be awake while they do it. That`s a first too, never had a general anaesthetic before

I had these when I was at primary school. Had chronic ear infections and problems with hearing.

Resolved it for good from what I can recall. Eventually they fall out although you won't notice unless a doctor checks. You might have to wear earplugs for swimming.

It's only a 15 minute procedure, might as well go for local anaesthetic if you have a choice. All you will feel is a bit of stinging when they inject it and then just numb prodding of your ear.

Thought they only did them for children though, glue ear problems usually resolve as you grow and the ear canal gets bigger.

OP
OP
I
I had these when I was at primary school. Had chronic ear infections and problems with hearing.

Resolved it for good from what I can recall. Eventually they fall out although you won't notice unless a doctor checks. You might have to wear earplugs for swimming.

It's only a 15 minute procedure, might as well go for local anaesthetic if you have a choice. All you will feel is a bit of stinging when they inject it and then just numb prodding of your ear.

Thought they only did them for children though, glue ear problems usually resolve as you grow and the ear canal gets bigger.

Thanks for that:okay:

I seem to have the opposite problem, it`s getting worse as I get older. I`ve only got to have a sniffle of a cold and my ears block up, it`s herendous. I am very, very sensitive to changes in my ears and this to me is just hell on earth. Being told by the doctor`s receptionist that it`s too trivial for an appointment really made me angry - she`s clearly never suffered with it.

This has stopped me cycling, walking anywhere, socializing, cooking, basically living. I am on such a high today knowing that there is help on the horizon (even though it`s going to cost me £2200:eek:).

Roll on Weds:smile:

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Glue-ear in kids is generally caused by enlarged adenoids obstructing the Eustachian tube between the back of the throat and the middle ear (cavity inside of the ear-drum). Your problem sounds similar; adenoids are collections of lymphoid tissue, part of the immune system, which enlarge in response to infection. I see no reason why your GP shouldn't see you for referral to ENT. Ignore the receptionist and insist on an appointment.

midlife

Guru
My NHS ENT colleagues look at adults as well as kids. I have a sneaky feeling that they don't do much until 12 weeks after it started. See GMP for ENT referral, they should be able to book you an appointment there and then via choose and book.

keithmac

Guru
Thanks for that:okay:

I seem to have the opposite problem, it`s getting worse as I get older. I`ve only got to have a sniffle of a cold and my ears block up, it`s herendous. I am very, very sensitive to changes in my ears and this to me is just hell on earth. Being told by the doctor`s receptionist that it`s too trivial for an appointment really made me angry - she`s clearly never suffered with it.

This has stopped me cycling, walking anywhere, socializing, cooking, basically living. I am on such a high today knowing that there is help on the horizon (even though it`s going to cost me £2200:eek:).

Roll on Weds:smile:

That's absurd, you spend all your life paying National Insurance (or whatever they call it now) and when you actually need something back you have to pay to go private..

Top Bottom