(Groovy) handlebar advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DTD

Veteran
Now the wheels have arrived, it's time to think about handlebars for the bike I'm having built – to recap – it's a titanium frame slightly retro road bike.I want silver handlebars with a compact drop and minimal branding – the Ritchley Classic Curve seems to fit the bill, but it doesn't have a cable groove, Soma Fabrications Highway 1 Bar looks similar and does have a single groove.The group set is a Campagnolo Veloce and the bar tape will be Brooks. My question is – is the groove important – and are their other alternatives – silver/31.8mm/40cm wide (I think).Thanks once again for your input.

Attachments

• ritchley.jpg
    ritchley.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 19.06.18.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 19.06.18.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 31

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't think the groove is that important.
The Veloce shifters have two possible exits for the gear cable.
When I got my VN Yukon it was set up (on a bar without grooves) to have brake cable running along the front of the bar and gear cable along the rear of the bar.
It's more comfortable using the other cable exit and having both cables running along front of the bar. However the tighter radius bend means the upshift is a bit more sluggish.

OP
OP
DTD

DTD

Veteran
Thanks very much – the Ritchley is cheaper and more readily available, so unless there are a lot of widely differing views I'll probably go with that.

raindog

er.....
I'd rather not have grooves these days. With a cable at the front and one behind and two layers of tape, I end up with a sort of oval profile which I find really comfy for the hands.

OP
OP
DTD

DTD

Veteran
After remeasuring I decided a 42cm bar would be best – it seems the Soma's are in short supply here in the UK, so a good deal was found on the Ritchley – £27.93 from Tredz (with a £5 off voucher). Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
DTD

DTD

Veteran
Just to reassure you all that I have suffered from chronic indecisiveness – I cancelled the Ritchleys and got the Somas

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom