Grossest thing you've encountered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
Someone dumped a poor black lab at the side of the stream we played near when we were kids. Its stomach was missing and was riddled with maggots. Thousands of them. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

Also seen a sheep hit by the car in front. Its body went one way and it's insides the other.

surfgurl

I found a freshly dead cut in half squirrel in the gutter on my commute today. It caused a bit of wobbling as I hurtled passed it on the downhill stretch.
Only problem is I can't remember exactly where it was on the hill. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
andygates said:
The weirdest grossout was the deer which had exploded so all of its guts were in a neat pile a little distance from its body. Guts, for the record, are squiggly when you ride over 'em...

Warning, surgery story:

A story from my vet friend: Someone he knew of was called upon to do a demo of a PM on a horse. It was to inaugurate a nice new operating/lecture theatre, and all the students and a few uni bigwigs came to the event. So he decided he needed to be very confident, and a little bit showy. Horse was on it's back, suspended by the legs, and he inserted the knife in and along the belly with a bravado flourish. Unfortunately the build up of gas inside the cavity propelled the now released guts up and out of the horse and down, in a arc, to land all over the guy...

sjb

Where to begin.....

I used to work as a water pollution inspector, so plenty of horrible sewage related incidents over the years.

Probably the worst was witnessing two members of a commune near Sheffield deciding to empty their septic tank for the first time in 25 years. Large brick tank in the field next to the commune houses - they kit up in wellies and boiler suits, open the lid and, literally, jump in....shame it was about 8 foot deep:sad: Took three of their fellow commune members to drag them out with ropes, I don't think I'll ever forget the smell, or the vision of one of them spitting out large amounts of festering sh*t and sanitary products from his mouthxx(

For non-sewage related experiences, I'd recommend you visit a rendering plant if you want to test how strong your constitution is - vast hoppers filled with bits of dead animal waiting to be boiled down,and I mean vast - several tonnes per container, and none of the meat was fresh:sad:

Strangely sewage treatment works themselves don't smell that bad.....or maybe I'm just weird

sjb

Just remembered a good one from some of my flood defence colleagues many years ago. A cow had died and wwas blocking a small stream, causing some localised flooding. The farmer who's cow it was, had cut off the ear tag so it couldn't be traced. The stream was too remote and the banks too steep for mechanical removal.

The two guys sent to "sort it out" came up with the brainwave of an on-site cremation and decided that petrol would be just the thing to make the job easier.....sadly they hadn't realised that the bloated stomach of the cow indicated a gas build up rather than just a fat cow

Petrol + methane + a tonne of cow meat / bone etc + a lighted match = one hell of a mess and it took some weeks to get themselves and the van clean:sad:

On the bright side, the stream wasn't blocked anymore:biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Whilst not quite on the scale of SJB's experience, I was cutting my grass earlier this year for which I use a lawn tractor. I was running alongside and close to a hedge with the cutter deck under the bottom of the hedge branches. I heard a dull thud and carried on. On the next pass I gradually became aware of the most unholy crescendo of stink which became so powerful I could taste it and feel it in the air. On nearing the spot, there were scores of small decaying pieces of very very dead hedgehog over the grass and a piece suspended from a branch. Its body must have been festering for days under the hedge and I had to shred it with the mower!

I have over the years been involved in farming and other activities having close contact with wildlife in all its facets, but that stink will remain as the worst.:biggrin:

bazzadigz C+

sjb said:
Just remembered a good one from some of my flood defence colleagues many years ago. A cow had died and wwas blocking a small stream, causing some localised flooding. The farmer who's cow it was, had cut off the ear tag so it couldn't be traced. The stream was too remote and the banks too steep for mechanical removal.

The two guys sent to "sort it out" came up with the brainwave of an on-site cremation and decided that petrol would be just the thing to make the job easier.....sadly they hadn't realised that the bloated stomach of the cow indicated a gas build up rather than just a fat cow

Petrol + methane + a tonne of cow meat / bone etc + a lighted match = one hell of a mess and it took some weeks to get themselves and the van clean:sad:

On the bright side, the stream wasn't blocked anymore:biggrin:

this reminds me of a program i saw about a whale that had become beached and died as a result. the local govenment decided to easiest way to move it was to blow it up into smaller pieces. a great idea in principle. 100's Locals came to watch along with media.

the only problem is someone didnt carry the one and forgot to include gasses in his equation. Queue on enomous bag and 100's of people running away covered in whale and being sick in the process. im sure there was cars that had been hit and destroyer by lumps of the stuff

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
bazzadigz C+ said:
this reminds me of a program i saw about a whale that had become beached and died as a result. the local govenment decided to easiest way to move it was to blow it up into smaller pieces. a great idea in principle. 100's Locals came to watch along with media.

the only problem is someone didnt carry the one and forgot to include gasses in his equation. Queue on enomous bag and 100's of people running away covered in whale and being sick in the process. im sure there was cars that had been hit and destroyer by lumps of the stuff

There was another one recently that I saw pics of (somewhere in Asia) - they'd been carrying a dead whale on a massive artic trailer through a town on the way to wherever they were taking it. The build up of gases caused the thing to explode, showering the street and pedestrians in putrid whale guts and festering liquid. In the pic, the scooters on the road are wheel deep in the stuff - I'd imagine the stench there was pretty awful :biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Walking dog over the hills in Scotland, usually a click on the lead hasp and she would come running, but not this day, too busy sniffing some thing.
So slightly miffed I walk back to get her, cursing under my breath, get close enough to grab her and thud ! Right foot disappears 18" into the ground.

Too late do I spot half a sheeps skull, with wool,sticking out the ground, the smell emanating from the hole my foot had created was even worse than the normal sweaty sock odour.

Cursing the dog I pull my (now wet) shoe and leg out of the hole to be greeted with the site and smell of black, fetid, rotting flesh, swarming with maggots on my shoe and trouser leg.

YEEUCH !! Baulking even as I type it, never wore the trousers socks or shoes again and I had the cleanest right foot and calf in Scotland.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yrs ago cycling to work...really bad stink along country lane, road was closed on way home...next am, road has tape (mostly) across one end, but no sign of police...so i think I'll chance it... halfway along plod steps out of a hedge and tells me off for ignoring the tape...I ask him what's going on, and he says it's a possible murder...however, turns out to be a dumped pig's leg!:biggrin:
Lots of gross hospital stories, but p'raps another time!...the man with amputated feet, for example, who looks like he has hooves....

Arch

Married to Night Train
sjb said:

Yeah, live cows can get a gas build up in one of their stomachs (bloat) and the way to cure it is to stick a sharp metal tube in to vent the gas. Some vets like to show off by lighting the methane as it comes out. OK, until the cow hiccups and it sucks the flame back into the stomach and ignites the still trapped gas...

col

Legendary Member
When i was a porter,i remember how heavy an amputated foot and calf was,it was in a plastic bag,so i had to really get tight hold of it to take it to the mortuary,and when we placed them in the fridge where bodies were on drawer shelves,we had to watch out for fluids dripping on us from the drawer above.

goo_mason said:
There was another one recently that I saw pics of (somewhere in Asia) - they'd been carrying a dead whale on a massive artic trailer through a town on the way to wherever they were taking it. The build up of gases caused the thing to explode, showering the street and pedestrians in putrid whale guts and festering liquid. In the pic, the scooters on the road are wheel deep in the stuff - I'd imagine the stench there was pretty awful :biggrin:

Indeed there was, and for more blood 'n' guts and exploding whale stuff go here but if you don't like innards etc. then don't.

bianco

I was jogging next to the Mrs on her bike yesterday, while she being on the road, I was on the pavement and I squashed a roadkill pigeon.

It was quite the task picking the blood out and I had splatter marks on my white socks!

Top Bottom