Ground breaking design or gimmick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
But where will I mount my second water bottle?

For a couple of hundred pounds extra they'll sell you a bottle-mounting post accessory...

1666365684759.png

Sharky

Guru
I'd like to see any wind tunnel data. With all the top brands trying to make their frames more aero by closing gaps and making the rear wheel snug with the frame, this frame would seem to be the opposite and sending the air direct into the back wheel!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There is a damn good reason why a triangle is one of the best ways of distributing point loads (in this case, the cyclist on the saddle) that there is. It's foundation / year 1 of an accredited degree course material. That will eventually fail where the chain stays meet the seat stays. And have all the rigidity of a blancmange.
Whilst I would expect that it's been beefed up around the headset/BB/seatcluster areas to avoid such problems of breakage or noodliness, I would also expect that said beefing up weighs more than the missing seat tube did.

This is doubtless why it's on the porky side for a CF bike.\

Whilst I would expect that it's been beefed up around the headset/BB/seatcluster areas to avoid such problems of breakage or noodliness, I would also expect that said beefing up weighs more than the missing seat tube did.

This is doubtless why it's on the porky side for a CF bike.\

Without doing the maths to get the exact numbers, most of the load - if it were a standard frame - would be transmitted down the seat tube.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Lack of a seat post Is not a new idea. This, a certain fellow cycle chat members bike from 5 years ago.
View attachment 665383

Or the J.Laverack Curv.3 concept bike
1666388766005.png

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Without doing the maths to get the exact numbers, most of the load - if it were a standard frame - would be transmitted down the seat tube.

I'll bow to Reynard's engineering background on this, but that frame looks deeply sus.
There's reasons why spaceframes are made out of triangles and not rhomboids.
I'm not remotely qualified to work out the stress figures on it, but it just looks like an inefficient structure.

I'll bow to Reynard's engineering background on this, but that frame looks deeply sus.
There's reasons why spaceframes are made out of triangles and not rhomboids.
I'm not remotely qualified to work out the stress figures on it, but it just looks like an inefficient structure.

A triangle is pretty well much the most efficient and effective load-bearing shape. Think bridges, roof trusses, spaceframe racing car chassis, bicycles...

A rhomboid is pretty well much a cross between a collie and a lhasa apso.

It brings to mind a project we did in my very first semester of Foundations of Engineering - building bridges out of plastic straws and seeing which designs could carry the biggest loads. It was fun and we learned loads. Without the need to do any maths. :laugh:

DRM

Guru

View: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/superstrata-bike#/comments

Read the comments in the above link, tells you everything you need to know about this shambles of a design & company, it looks like the sort of thing a person who’s never ridden a bike would design, trying to reinvent what has already been perfected
Edit: Having read a few more comments it appears they have drilled through the handlebars to route the brake cable through, the rear brake calliper mountings break off, and lots of people paid for this monstrosity, but haven’t received a bike, some waiting over 2 years, what a gang of scammers,
also £2800 for something fitted with an AliExpress group set :ohmy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom