group set for bike build?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
how long has the electronic gearing been out for? is there much room for improvement with them? would it be worth waiting to see what upgrades will be made or would that be small upgrades and a long wait?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
There are massive differences between Dura-Ace Di2 and Ultegra Ui2 in both terms of performance and flexibility. Di2 is easier to modify and tweak, the most common mod is to put the battery in the seatpost like I have, you can see this in my album. By contrast Ui2 uses a canbus interface which makes modification a little more challenging as eveything requires a chip to be recognised to the system. Other popular mods are to do sprint buttons on the drops and shifters on the bar tops like I have.
One downside of Shimano i2 systems are you can not jump down two gears in a single movement. Other electronic systems such as EPS do not have this limitation however its a bitch to hack. The next generation Di2 due out shortly does not have this limitation either and Shimano have available as an option many of the popular hacks/mods around today, so they seem to be looking at what the Di2 hack community are doing with it.
I've done many mods such as seat post battery conversions, multiple location shifting options, powered lights from the battery and mtb conversions... its clever stuff and really cool imho

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
There are massive differences between Dura-Ace Di2 and Ultegra Ui2 in both terms of performance and flexibility. Di2 is easier to modify and tweak, the most common mod is to put the battery in the seatpost like I have, you can see this in my album. By contrast Ui2 uses a canbus interface which makes modification a little more challenging as eveything requires a chip to be recognised to the system. Other popular mods are to do sprint buttons on the drops and shifters on the bar tops like I have.
One downside of Shimano i2 systems are you can not jump down two gears in a single movement. Other electronic systems such as EPS do not have this limitation however its a bitch to hack. The next generation Di2 due out shortly does not have this limitation either and Shimano have available as an option many of the popular hacks/mods around today, so they seem to be looking at what the Di2 hack community are doing with it.
I've done many mods such as seat post battery conversions, multiple location shifting options, powered lights from the battery and mtb conversions... its clever stuff and really cool imho

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
well i have the frame and nearly got the money for the wheels, i might admit defeat about trying to get her on the road before winter and save to get better components like the di2

dudigrinfeld

well i have the frame and nearly got the money for the wheels, i might admit defeat about trying to get her on the road before winter and save to get better components like the di2
which frame you got? What groupset and wheels you go for?
Post pictures

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
which frame you got? What groupset and wheels you go for?
Post pictures
got the R3 frame picking it up on 1st august
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/22164/cervelo-r3-frameset-2012/
in the white/blue did not get it from here tho
i have also asked the bike shop to hold a set of these wheels for me which i think ill pick up on the same day
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-ksyrium-elite-black-clincher-road-wheelset/
after that im broke till september payday, but ill have a 3t carbon handle bars, so its really just desiding on the group set, was going to go for ultegra but now im thinking i might save up over winter and maybe go electronic

dudigrinfeld

That's nice but is this frame set you got is electronic built up compatible? It doesn't look like it according to the picture I know their S model of 2012 is DI2 computable.

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
That's nice but is this frame set you got is electronic built up compatible? It doesn't look like it according to the picture I know their S model of 2012 is DI2 computable.
i dont no to be honest, i did not realise it might not fit, it is a 2012 model ill ask the shop and find out,

dudigrinfeld

I think you'll only will be able to run it externally with his frame. It is very ice frame, the R3 but as I said I think the S model of 2012 is built for electronic groupy!

jayonabike