Group Set.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
I am building a bike from new parts.
The question ...I am buying a group set,what make should I get? I believe it comes to a choice between Japanese or Italian.
The bike is a carbon framed road bike.
I have not a lot of money left to spend so the most I wish to pay is under £300.
Does any one have a recommendation ?
I realy would wish for a nice positive gear change without "clunking"
Also what is the difference between compact and non compact group sets ?
Thank you
Doug.

adscrim

Veteran
You can get the 105 5600 groupset for under £300 now that the 5700 is out. With regards compact and 'non-compact'/regular double, it relates to the number of teeth on the front chain rings. Most compact chainsets will have a 34/50 combination although some do differ (semi-compact), while a regular/full size double will have a 39/53 combination. The difference is that turning rear chain rings of equal size will be easier using a compact than it is using a regular double.

Grasen

The question ...I am buying a group set,what make should I get? I believe it comes to a choice between Japanese or Italian.

what like SUNTOUR versus OFMEGA ?
SRAM from usa is very popular at the moment

Garz

Squat Member
If I was buying a groupset (although it is more expensive) I would save for the SRAM Apex as it looks awesome value for money.

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
what like SUNTOUR versus OFMEGA ?
SRAM from usa is very popular at the moment

I said I believe that group sets came from Japan or Italy.
Thank you for enlightening me to the contrary.
Perhaps I should have said MOST GROUPSETS ARE MADE IN CHINA !!
You perhaps then would have pointed out that there is a maker in the Friendly Islands !
Are you a complete .....? MAYBE YOU WILL REPLY NO, I've been circumcised.

montage

God Almighty
Are you a complete .....? MAYBE YOU WILL REPLY NO, I've been circumcised.

Thanks for the info, nice to get to know new members fully.

Basically, get the 105 shimano is around your budget and very easy to install and a very good groupset. Shimano is japanese. Get campag if you like the looks of it or the idea of an italian groupset, people will argue all day over which is better

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran

Basically, get the 105 shimano is around your budget and very easy to install and a very good groupset. Shimano is japanese. Get campag if you like the looks of it or the idea of an italian groupset, people will argue all day over which is better

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran

Montage.
Thank you for the advise.
Please do not be too hasty in your judgement of me.
My reply was in my opinion "in kind"
I really find it hard to stomach pedants or "smart Ale cs".
Best Wishes
Doug.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

I had a similar choice to make when I built my bike last spring. I chose Campag over Shimano and love it to bits but Shimano is probably easier to get fixed or buy replacements for. As the others have mentioned the choice is likely 105 v Veloce, both of which will be 10 speed and should fair well. Also something to consider is compatibility of rear wheels, specifically the freehub which will need to match either Campag or Shimano. Again there are probably more choice of the latter. I would quite like to try Shimano on my next bike but Would want at least 105 spec.

Top Bottom