groupset compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ezrider

Regular
Hi there,

I just bought an used Orbea Orca with a Sram Apex groupset. I don't like the Apex at all, and want to switch to Shimano Ultegra. I have some questions about compatibility of components.

The specs are:

Chainrings: SRAM 50/34
Front Derailleur: SRAM Apex
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Apex
Rear Cogs: SRAM, 10-speed: 11-32
Caliper Levers/Shifters: SRAM Apex
Brakeset: SRAM Apex

I wonder if I should do a direct swap with all Ultegra R8000 components, or if there is anything from the Sram I can salvage (except derailleurs). How about the cables?

The chain rings and cables, and brakes will be compatible, everything else will need changing.

adscrim

Veteran
You'll need a new cassette as the 8000 is 11 speed (I suppose you could run it 10spd using the limiters but I imagine the shifting would be ever so slightly off). Should check that your wheel will take an 11 speed cassette too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You'll need a new cassette as the 8000 is 11 speed (I suppose you could run it 10spd using the limiters but I imagine the shifting would be ever so slightly off). Should check that your wheel will take an 11 speed cassette too.

Ah I didn't realise he was changing to an 11 speed system, if so the crankset may be incompatible too.

Curious as to what you don’t like about SRAM Apex? I find the hoods nicer and like the fixed lever unlike the shimano where the brake moves onwards and like the adjustment to be able to bring the levers closer without a spacer, just turn a screw.

The use I find easier, tap down, sweep up.

OP
OP
E

ezrider

Regular
Curious as to what you don’t like about SRAM Apex? I find the hoods nicer and like the fixed lever unlike the shimano where the brake moves onwards and like the adjustment to be able to bring the levers closer without a spacer, just turn a screw.

The use I find easier, tap down, sweep up.
I personally don't have anything against SRAM. I was looking for a carbon bike with Ultegra groupset, because I wanted to upgrade from my Aluminum 105 endurance bike. However, I found the right frame with an Apex group set and I bought this bike with the idea of upgrading it to Ultegra. Furthermore, the way the gears shift is much inferior than my 105 bike. On the other hand I like much more the Ultegra shifting compared to 105. To be honest, my experience is exclusively with Shimano, and I was not impressed with the reliability I have seen on the Apex so far. The front derailleur just can't easily upshift from smaller to larger crank. It may require some adjustment but it is not at the level of Ultegra to begin with.

clog

How would I know if my Shimano RS500 wheel can accommodate the 11-speed cassette?

It will not accept most 11 speed cassettes, the exception being the 11-34 versions of Ultegra and 105.

As regards the groupset, it is nearly always cheaper in the long run to buy a complete bundle than buying the parts seperately and mixing components. After all you can sell on the Apex groupset as complete and recoup some outlay.

OP
OP
E

ezrider

Regular
It will not accept most 11 speed cassettes, the exception being the 11-34 versions of Ultegra and 105.

As regards the groupset, it is nearly always cheaper in the long run to buy a complete bundle than buying the parts seperately and mixing components. After all you can sell on the Apex groupset as complete and recoup some outlay.
This is a great advice, clog. Thanks!

Top Bottom