groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
This will sound funny but I've just discovered that campagnolo is a grouset make in it's own right - I thought it was one of Shimano's ranges!! Anyhow a question - I have SRAM x7 rear and x5 front mech on my bike. I'm looking at a bike that has campagnolo centuar rear and xenon front, which is the superior pairing?

Campag Centaur is a road groupset and SRAM X is MTB gearing IIRC So two different animals in that respect.

THIS shows you the hierarchy of Campag groupsets, (click on the genre that you want, eg: road). SRAM and Shimano sites have the same system of hierarchy as well.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Whilst I sort of know that (thanks anyhow), SRAM is on my Boardman \comp hybrid which is essentially a road bike with straight handlebars. My query is therefore which is superior on the road?

Campag Centaur is a road groupset and SRAM X is MTB gearing IIRC So two different animals in that respect.

THIS shows you the hierarchy of Campag groupsets, (click on the genre that you want, eg: road). SRAM and Shimano sites have the same system of hierarchy as well.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Xenon is not listed as it has been discontinued (as was Mirage), both were 'below' Veloce. However you still find it it supplied as OEM on some complete bikes, and some suppliers may still have old stock. As to which is best ............. ?

[quote="youngoldbloke, post: 2302142, member: 2740As to which is best ............. ?[/quote]
Yup, it's a personal preference thing at the end if the day.

Personally I don't like Campag, (built a bike with Veloce), didn't like it as it felt agricultural to me, and I hated the thumb shifters TBH.

I've never used SRAM, (a Red cassette doesn't count), so I stick to what I know, Shimano.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Like most of you people I suspect, we all started with something like tourney/SIS etc. When I went to Deore I noticed a big difference in the efficiency, work rate etc of the gears, and thats all I really wondering, which of the SRAM and Camp would make my cycling easier.

PS my SRAM x is noticably better than my Deore was.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I believe i'm right in saying that once you have got to good standard of equipment, the usual reason for wanting to up-grade is weight, or more accurately, loss of weight. You could buy the most expensive groupset man has made, but i bet it wouldnt work any better than a groupset costing one tenth of the price, but it would be lighter, and lighter bikes take less effort to move. Or you could save y'money and lose a bit of weight y'self by riding more and worrying less about "the quality" of equipment you have strapped to y'frame. I've been where you are now, and honestly, if your equipment is working well ( i'm still talking about bikes here ) and as it should, save y'money and just enjoy riding it !

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't really get the question but here's a rundown, anyway....

Di2
Ultegra Di2
SRAM Red
Dura Ace
Ultegra
SRAM Force
SRAM Rival
Tiagra
SRAM Apex
Sora
Anything from Campag

Top Bottom