grrrr.... another BB tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
I haven't got round to removing the BB from my road bike - a 2000 shimano ultergra BB that requires a special tool; fits over the outside with dimples. I already have the mtb BB tool - a splined socket, whcih ocourse is different to the one for cassettes.:biggrin:

Anyways, friend buys a new mtb chainest, new fangled Shimano with the spindle attached to the pedal and guess what, this needs year another BB tool!!:ohmy:. Again this one fits on the outside but the dimples are different to the one on my bike.:biggrin:

ggrr....... all thses changes ..... and tools .... grrr.r...:wacko:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've just had to buy for my road bike with FSA BB, so if ever you need that one give us a shout & you can borrow it rather than buying another ;)

Now you see why bike shops / workshops charge so much. As in one bike shop I worked in still has tools that where used just once in 5 years. My own tool kit with work stand is getting up to £1600 if I was going to go out and buy it today (if I could).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It isn't cheap looking after your own bike, but if you keep them, use them, thrash them, then it's best to get the tools - I probably have at least £500 worth of tools, but it's taken years to build them up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rubbish mate...

There have been movements in BB's the last few years, although the ISIS type was rubbish, then outboard seems to be the flavour now....

I'm still square taper...old git.............

coldash

Veteran
fossyant said:
I'm still square taper...old git.............

Me too but the Campag ones are getting difficult to find ;) . My LBS couldn't get an old style (i.e pre outboard bearings) Veloce unit but I eventually managed to find one on ebay.

I have managed to convince myself that most special tools pay for themselves the first time they're used, and that they then do not eat anything while they sit on the shelf waiting for their next use. There are also significant savings to be made by buying some things secondhand - I paid £9 for a superb workstand, for instance. Tools are good value when you weigh up the convenience of being able to do repairs when you want rather than trying to book into a LBS.

Top Bottom