Grrrr! Bike conundrum... what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am 99% a MTBer but a couple of years ago I wanted a road trainer so I bought an old Peugeot 3000 Performance road bike in absolutely pristine, almost unused condition for £150. It is definitely an old model entry-level bike with shifters on the downtube and cheap soft alloy wheels. I replaced the comedy Bio Pace cranks with a Shimano 34/50 Compact, which is fantastically stiff and ended up with a nice old road trainer which for me at least is exhilaratingly fast compared to an MTB, but has a good wide range of gears for spinning up the Lancashire hills. Total expenditure: £ 210.00

Then last month someone offered me an old Harry Hall racer also in immaculate condition with more modern, compact geometry, Columbus SLX tubing, good Mavic wheels, STI and a Flite Ti saddle, all for £150. I bought it and spent another £70 on new tyres, cables and bar tape. Total expenditure: £220.00

Now I have discovered that there is a fault with the RH RSX shifter; it's reluctant to drop down to a smaller cog. It seems like the cable tension isn’t enough because when you pull the cable the derailleur works fine and the shifter clicks through its positions okay. My local Shimano agent tells me there may be a knackered spring in the shifter and I will probably need to spend £80 - £90 on new shifters. (Though he would say that.) I would also like to replace the 39/52 Campagnolo cranks with the same Shimano 34/50 I fitted to the Peugeot, which would give me better hill-climbing gears. Alternatively I guess I could fit a smaller ring to the existing cranks.

I am advertising the Peugeot in the local rag tomorrow and I’m sure I will get lots of calls. But now I’m beginning to regret everything I’ve done and to wonder if I shouldn’t have just been content with my old fashioned low-tech Peugeot, which was comfortable, fitted me fine and rode nicely even though heavy and not as nice handling or as the Harry Hall. On the other hand the HH is a classic bike, which probably cost nearer to £1000 when it was new. It was built in the basement of one of their several shops in Manchester, they tell me.

So what advice would you give me? Most of you know a lot more about road bikes than I do. Should I stick with the old Pug or persist in spending money on the Harry Hall?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Harry Hall for me.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I need the cash and the space in the garage and seldom go out on the road bike so certainly can't justify keeping two!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fantastic frames those SLX's - one of the best steel frames - and I should know.

As for the shifter - how about lots of lube squirted in there - see how it goes - worth a try.

The HH is worth spending the money on, the Pug won't be.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice but it's turning into a bit of an upgrade nightmare - if I need new shifters, will I be able to find something compatible with my old 7 speed block? Would a new 8 speed shifter work - is the cable pull the same?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
I need the cash and the space in the garage and seldom go out on the road bike so certainly can't justify keeping two!

you can, chuck something else out from the garage and buy less stuff for a month or two;)

Rigid Raider said:
Thanks for the advice but it's turning into a bit of an upgrade nightmare - if I need new shifters, will I be able to find something compatible with my old 7 speed block? Would a new 8 speed shifter work - is the cable pull the same?
Yes but a nine speed shifter will not.

7 & 8 use the same sprocket width and spacing, they widened the freehub body to accept the additional sprocket. Nine speed squished nine sprockets onto the eight speed cassette so the spacing is different.

simoncc

As you are mainly an MTB man why not just fit old-fashioned down tube shifters to your HH road machine? They'll work OK and you'll still get the fitness you want for your MTB riding. This would be a cheap solution.

rustychisel

errrr, why didn't you work out what to do BEFORE advertising the Pug?

Anyway, I'd rip the compact cranks off the Pug and swap them with those on the Pug, get the best of both. And flush the STI with loads of WD-40 of course. And keep an eye out for a replacement from fleaBay or wherever.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Update - I hung the bike from the garage rafters last night and had a good look at the pdf of the setup instructions, which I had downloaded. I checked the derailleur setup and soaked the RH shifter in WD40 then had a good old fiddle with the cable adjuster and eventually succeeded in getting it working more or less okay. The cable adjustment seems to be pretty crucial with STI. There doesn't seem to be a mechanical problem, it's still a little sluggish on the downshifts so I'll try to get some aerosol lithium grease into the shifter tonight to get it working really smoothly then road test it. If the rain stops.

Top Bottom