What to do with old earplugs..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you might feel a bit differently if you had no sleep at all.

I've have slept in a lot of communal places, and shared rooms with a lot of other people, and not once has snoring kept me awake or even disturbed my sleep to any meaningful extent. I have had it disturbed by people moaning about snoring, but taking no measures to remove themselves from an issue most were sleeping through.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've have slept in a lot of communal places, and shared rooms with a lot of other people, and not once has snoring kept me awake or even disturbed my sleep to any meaningful extent. I have had it disturbed by people moaning about snoring, but taking no measures to remove themselves from an issue most were sleeping through.

Everyone is different in this respect.

Everyone is different in this respect.

From experience, most very heavy snorers have tried many things to resolve the problem. It tends to disturb them as well.

Again from experience, the best solution to satisfy the bulk of the room and address the immediate problem is for the one most affected to find somewhere out of earshot, rather than disturbing everyone else with their grumblings.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Don't know if you've tried them, but I bought a mouldable set for my motorbike, I think they were about £15 but you got enough gloop and hardener to do 2 pairs. You just mix the two pastes together, form a ball and then stick as much or as little into your ear as you want. I found them the most comfortable, as you can mould them around the ear passage so don't have to rely on the main bit being stuffed in to stay in, if that makes sense
Thanks - have heard of them but never given them a go. Do they expand at all? I appreciate the benefit of molding them to the canal but I think some expansion would be necessary to block out as much sound as possible..

For recycling information, have you looked at the packaging or manufacturers website? 🤔
Yes, as per my previous post I've emailed the manufacturers and they confirmed that they can't be recycled..

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Do they expand at all? I appreciate the benefit of molding them to the canal but I think some expansion would be necessary to block out as much sound as possible..
No they don't expand, but they don't really need to. They are not push-fit like disposable ones; once moulded they dry/cure into a soft rubber. If you want you can mould them to a cone shape and stuff them in, but on my motorcycle I found it more comfortable to have some of it going into my canal, and to mould the rest around the "e" part of the outer ear. That way they sit flush which is good for a tight helmet (or I'd imagine for lying on a pillow) as no extrusions rub or catch on anything. IME they were better at noise cancellatin than disposables and way more comfy

Again from experience, the best solution to satisfy the bulk of the room and address the immediate problem is for the one most affected to find somewhere out of earshot, rather than disturbing everyone else with their grumblings.

Most times this has troubled me (and I grumble much less now I've found very effective ear plugs), someone will have nabbed the lovely quiet spot before I got there.
But I think you're mainly right, in that snorers have mostly tried to stop; the obvious exceptions (IMHO) are the ones who plonk themselves down on their back, hands across their belly, fingers intertwined as if in prayer for a sound night's sleep.

I've never (knowingly) been kept awake by a side-sleeping snorer!

Most times this has troubled me (and I grumble much less now I've found very effective ear plugs), someone will have nabbed the lovely quiet spot before I got there.
But I think you're mainly right, in that snorers have mostly tried to stop; the obvious exceptions (IMHO) are the ones who plonk themselves down on their back, hands across their belly, fingers intertwined as if in prayer for a sound night's sleep.

I've never (knowingly) been kept awake by a side-sleeping snorer!

I was once at a seminar where the speaker was mumbling their way through a load of spreadsheets, equations and images of printed circuit boards, but I kept getting distracted by a really strange noise that stopped when I tried to pin it down. I could see most of the rest of the room were passing their time trying to pin it down too.

It was after what must have been the 6th time in half an hour, I realised I kept nodding off, and the horrendous noise was me snoring and totally drowning out the speaker. :laugh:

Top Bottom