Grrrrrr!! Annoying!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I've been overhauling an old bike which I acquired recently. Dismantled the rear spindle, assiduously placed all the bits in a plastic pot, cleaned out the crud, went to put spindle back together; a small spacer is missing. Not in the pot, not in any tool-boxes, not on the floor or in any pockets, hasn't been knocked into a corner (I'm working in a small room with very few nooks and crannies, all of which are easily accessible) nobody else has been in the room and, stupidly omnivorous as she is, I can't believe that the dog would eat such a thing. I can only assume that it has fallen through a wormhole into a 4th dimension space which I can't access or I've had a visit from a relative/associate of the pu****re fairy; the widget gnome or something.

No assistance required, I just felt like a rant. The thing will doubtless reappear (in a place where it couldn't possibly have been missed) shortly after I finish raking through my stash of old widgets and grommets for a replacement

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Have you got a magnet handy? I've used one inside a wee sandwich bag and on a piece of string to dangle in inaccessible areas, or drag around the floor. Usually finds what I've lost.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I know the feeling well. I lost three headset spacers in the garage last year and you know the size of those.It was simple, I layed them on top of a box to put away later. One turned up a few months later despite repeated searches at the time, under some shelving, pity the other two spacers did`nt take the hint. As @Globalti mentioned it has probably attached itself to another component. Hope you find it.

OP
OP
Gasman

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Thanks for all the advice, however...

IMG_20200130_145702.jpg

all other components are present, correct and accounted for, there's no debris on the floor to conceal it, neither is it under the sheet. All the boxes and bags have been thoroughly and repeatedly searched and every other item of furniture in the room has been picked up, moved away and checked under. I'll get a replacement at the week-end and there's plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied in the meantime. It's just the sort of thing which REALLY annoys me!

12boy

Guru
I set my specs down to peer at something, left the shed and later couldn't find them. Got a new pair which took about 10 days, and then once I had them could see well enough to find the first pair. I don't toss extra bits so I usually have a replacement for those parts which escape and can't be found until already replaced.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

View attachment 502586

all other components are present, correct and accounted for, there's no debris on the floor to conceal it, neither is it under the sheet. All the boxes and bags have been thoroughly and repeatedly searched and every other item of furniture in the room has been picked up, moved away and checked under. I'll get a replacement at the week-end and there's plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied in the meantime. It's just the sort of thing which REALLY annoys me!

I can see it..... How can you miss it?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

View attachment 502586

Crikey, what a cosy workshop! I usually have to work out in the open, unless Mrs Poacher is out for the afternoon. This brings its own problems - I had to demolish a wall to retrieve a small component which would have been near impossible/very expensive to replace. Full story here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-172#post-3017699
PS stainless bits aren't magnetic - may not apply to your spacer.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My old workshop trainers are very good at picking up small components and then dropping them somewhere else.

I must get a pair of smooth soled slippers. (Not really, I'm nowhere near old enough for slippers)

Gunk

Guru

View attachment 502586

Have you checked that cat litter tray 🤮

Top Bottom