Grumbling Gears/Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Voyley

Relative newb needs some advice,

Have been riding my new bike (Giant Defy 1) for a couple of months and am noticing when I shift to the higher gears on the low chainring and the lower gears on the large chainring there's a degree of grumbling; I've used the shifters to tweak the positions which helps but I wanted to check if this is common or a problem with the set up?

If it's a problem can I sort it out myself (again novice but happy to have a go) or do I need to pay a visit to the LBS?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Take it down to your local LBS .. he may do it in front of you .. bombard him with your questions and try and learn a bit of bike mechanics !

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Relative newb needs some advice,

Have been riding my new bike (Giant Defy 1) for a couple of months and am noticing when I shift to the higher gears on the low chainring and the lower gears on the large chainring there's a degree of grumbling; I've used the shifters to tweak the positions which helps but I wanted to check if this is common or a problem with the set up?

If it's a problem can I sort it out myself (again novice but happy to have a go) or do I need to pay a visit to the LBS?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the cardinal cycling sin of crossing gears. If you are riding with a triple chain set you want to try to keep the chain fairly straight so when on the largest chain ring you should use the smaller gear sprockets on the back. When on the middle chain ring use the middle gears and when on the smallest chain ring use the largest sprockets at the back.
If you cross gears too much you increase wear on the entire drive train and the gears you are in will not be any different than ones you could achieve by following the above, because in effect a high gear on the front and a low gear at the back will be similar to a middle gear front and back.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Wot Mr & Mrs said. I ride a compact, i.e. two chain rings, proper one with 54T while the 'wheel of weakness' has 34. If I'm down to third on the cassette I shift the front mech to the 34 ring, sweat and gasp and blather my way up the hill. If I make the crest without dismounting (trying to remember to unclip first, thus avoiding an involuntary dismount), once I've got back up to third on the cassette, I switch back to the dog ring so I can pretend I'm a real man again. Especially if there's anyone watching. This avoids clicketty grind noises, which offend me, and looks after the mechanical bits that deliver the drive much better.

OP
OP
Voyley

Voyley

Thanks for the advice guys, I read your posts then went out for a ride being mindful of the advice, made a huge difference, still got the mix wrong a few times as the landscape here is bumpy to say the least and traffic lights don't help. But I now understand the rules of the gears so to speak. I ride a compact too.

Thanks Again Brilliant

Top Bottom