grumpy old man....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom3ld

Dear All, I fear I am becoming a grumpy old man...

Background - my old road bike frame died after 12 years of commuting, and I got some great advice from replies on this forum to look at the Triban 3 of Decathlon. Looked great, felt good trying it out and the 63cm frame was comfortable for me, which is nice because I am over 6'5"...

... but there is an issue for me with the Triban because the top of the fork is quite close to the wheel and the tyre is quite skinny - I usually ride with slightly wider wheel and tyres (?28 mm) (to cope with potholes/speedbumps etc. on commute) and metal mudguards (commuting in the rain...) and I fear the Triban won't be able to accomodate the chunkier wheel/tyre + mudguard. (plan to go back to check this out at Decathlon with the wheels from my old bike to know for sure...)

So I feel like a grumpy old man, because the Triiban 3 should be great, but here I am complaining...

My question is - does anybody have a recommendation for a frame/make where there will be a larger space in the fork for tyres / mudguard etc? I feel a bit stupid worrying about chunkier wheels and mudguards, whiich will of course slow the bike down.

best wishes, Tom

OP
OP
T

tom3ld

sorry - one other thing - did I do the right thing by starting a new thread or should I have tacked it on to the old one? Sorry if I messed up- old thread was about AMMACO XRS300

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think you might like to look at a cyclo-cross bike for commuting if you wish to run 700x28 tyres and mudguards. My Defy 2 prefers 700x23c when it has its mudguards on.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Phew! for a moment I though it was going to be another 'a cyclist ignored me when I said hello' thread......

anyway....

Top Bottom