GT85 Evil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaynana

I smother my chain with Oil of Olay after each and every mile. Anyone who doesn't clearly has no mechanical sympathy. On wet days I bring it in the house and we both have a good cry.

:cheers:

how my bike would wish it was owned by you :smooch:

too bad..

i lube my chain weekly with dry lube, and the derailer with silicon spray. once a month or so i use de-greaser with a brush and pressure washer to clean the chain and derailer.

seems to keep the chain shining clean and decently lubed. the dry lube also has an anti dirt pick-up property.

i think though that dry-lube doesn't lubricate as much as wet. so i make it a point to lube every week.

subaqua

What’s the point

HovR

Über Member
bicycle chain oil - £3 for 100ml thats £30 per litre
Chainsaw oil £10 for 1000ml thats £10 per litre
chainsaw chains are also a little more expensive and need to be kept unclogged to work safely and efficiently.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line..._campaign=uk&gclid=CLyRyKja7LECFQMhtAodZwsAFQ
£5 for 100ml , you can do the sums

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finish-Li...clAcces_RL&hash=item4d028c4517#ht_1504wt_1271

That'll be roughly £15.7 a litre, and will last you years. What's the big issue? :smile:

400bhp

Guru
:eek: Is there an upcoming shortage I've not heard about?

I do the WD for cleaning, and any oil I can scavenge from work for lubing, works for me :thumbsup:

Bought 12 in bulk off fleabay - think it worked out at about £2 a can. You can have half if you like, then you buy the next dozen?

HovR

Über Member
more to do with why buy bike chain lube and chainsaw chain lube when i use both and one will do the 2 but the other is far too expensive to even try and see if its any good.

Sure, you pay a slight premium over other oils, but saying it's far too expensive to even try is a bit of an over exaggeration. :rolleyes:

My LBS sell little 60ml bottles for a couple of quid. I bought one a few months ago, and have used it once a week on multiple bikes - I am yet to finish my original bottle.

subaqua

What’s the point
Sure, you pay a slight premium over other oils, but saying it's far too expensive to even try is a bit of an over exaggeration. :rolleyes:

My LBS sell little 60ml bottles for a couple of quid. I bought one a few months ago, and have used it once a week on multiple bikes - I am yet to finish my original bottle.

i have 3 that get used over the week, my wife has 1, daughter and sons bikes too . thats another 5 amounts . it works for me . I was just showing the cost of oils against each other. the one that makes me cringe is the price of bottled water per litre. or even worse the price of beer per litre. not as bad as oil granted and not much use for maintaining your bike ( unless you are properly anally retentive and wash it in Evian but i don't know anybody who would do that)

HovR

Über Member
i have 3 that get used over the week, my wife has 1, daughter and sons bikes too . thats another 5 amounts . it works for me . I was just showing the cost of oils against each other. the one that makes me cringe is the price of bottled water per litre. or even worse the price of beer per litre. not as bad as oil granted and not much use for maintaining your bike ( unless you are properly anally retentive and wash it in Evian but i don't know anybody who would do that)

Sure, whatever works for you (as long as it isn't WD40! :whistle:) - I was just correcting the statement that it is too expensive to even try.

Personally I have two bikes at the moment. One cheap mountain bike which I will oil with any old carp. My nice bike gets Finish Line Dry.

I agree with you about bottled water though! I refuse to buy it - In some cases it's more expensive than carbonated drinks!