GT85 on brake disc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
I’d use meths

si_c

Guru
Isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.

You can get disc brake cleaner which is basically that. Make sure you clean the rotor and pads and then bed everything back in properly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If it is transferred to the pads then it is probably 'game over' for them. You can clean it all up and try, but the stuff seeps into the pad material then resurfaces once the brakes are back in use, giving poor brake power and lots of squealy noises.

Clean the rotors to within an inch of their lives and replace the pads.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That will make the kitchen smell very bad. Better to put contaminated pads in the dishwasher; there's nothing hotter or more caustic for removing greases and oils.

Clean the rotor with very hot water with detergent or glass cleaner.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Would something like 2000-3000 grade wet and dry take it off? Asking not recommending btw.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What's the best way to remove GT85 from a brake disc? Thanks.
https://www.toolstation.com/holts-brake-cleaner/p43710?searchstr=holts If you have a Toolstation near you, this stuff is very good value.

This is NOT a recommendation, but over the years I've cleaned WD40 off motorcycle tyres with brake cleaner. No ill effects. With anything porous like rubber tyres, brake pads etc, it's usually ok if you do it quickly, but especially with brake pads I'd not even try and clean them if they've had contaminants on them for longer than a few minutes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Go for a ride on a cinder/gravel track and use the brake as few times.

Scuffing from grit on the path will soon fettle it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am, by a long shot, the least scientifically minded on here, but I just don’t get all the tizzyness about disc brakes. My rotors and pads get covered in all sorts of muck. Diesel, clay, sand, salt, water, blood etc and they never fail to perform.

Sure I clean them and use brake cleaner on pads and rotors occasionally, but by no means do I treat them with cotton wool gloves*. I only replace them when almost on the metal or the rotors are past the wear indicator. I like them quiet and I like them to stop me, but otherwise I use them to their full potential. It’s hilly round here and I am 73kg, so they work hard.

*(lint free if you do)

Top Bottom