GT85 Spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used it for years and got reasonably good mileage from my chains, 2-4000 miles being my range before the chain was 0.75% worn and replaced. Now I'm using chain-saw oil and it seems to be a lot better, hardly needs a top up and similar mileages so far, I have no idea how far it'll make the chains go as I haven't needed to change one yet!

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Also - the chainsaw oil does seem pretty thick so I think it would be a grit magnet if not kept under control. I let it soak in to the rollers of the chain and then wiped off as much as I could from the surface.

I will probably stick with dry lube on my Cannondale which is my good-weather bike.

I have heard that GT85 does not pick up any grit that is one of the reasons why I use it

gbb

Legendary Member
This one is a never ending topic, WD or GT on chains, ok or not ?
Having spent years reading how many dismiss it and a few praise it, i thought i'd try myself a few years ago.
In my case, WD40 applied then wiped on an almost daily basis...my chain stayed lovely shiny and clean...but wore out really quite quick ly.
Engineering is my job, to me WD and GT are'nt much different, i see no reason why GT85 would behave much differently to WD40...

Working on the principle you almost HAVE to apply very very frequently, that alone is enough to disuade me from using either, its just not environmentally friendly, and probably quite expensive, and has dubious, or at best mixed results.

In your first post Wester, you say the chain seems fine...measure it, if its not wearing, then you're doing ok. But i suspect 'seems fine' isnt really telling you whats really happening.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't use it as a lubricant, but it makes a decent cleaner. Found my cassette on my winter bike had rusted a bit yesterday. So I scrubbed it with a tough-bristled brush then sprayed GT85 on it, and it looks shiny and new once again.

avalon

Guru
Chainsaw oil and never clean the chain. It works for me. I wear out wheels and saddles quicker than chains.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Car auto transmission fluid is ok too- can get it cheap in local car accessory shops Been using it for years in my Motorcycle scott oiler.... far cheaper and works just as well as [scott oiler oil].

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I use GT85 to polish and clean the bike I also use it to degrease my chain and then wiping before lubricating. I find if you cover the frame etc with it, dirt just wipes off easily with out getting the whole bucket and water out etc.

Top Bottom