GT85 Spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have been using GT85 spray on my bike chain for about the past 6 months and it seems to be doing a good job . Do you or have you used GT85 spray if you have what is your feedback on it

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I use it as deodorant as its the mutts nuts. Love it

Octet

Veteran
Not on a bicycle chain, I would use either Finish Line wet or dry (dependant upon the weather).

I do use GT85 as a polish though, spray a small amount on a cloth and wipe the frame down with it. It helps protect and adds a nice shine, other than that it is good on door hinges and other general household tasks.

Any other bicycle component which needs it will get a light smearing of Lithium grease.

Venod

Eh up
Its all I have been using on the chain for several years now, I can't see a down side, I get decent mileage from my chains.

Octet

Veteran
Its all I have been using on the chain for several years now, I can't see a down side, I get decent mileage from my chains.

To be fair, I never used to use anything fancy prior to getting my road bike. It used to be WD40, and the chain on my mountain bike is still in pretty good nick, although I'm not sure how much wear it would cause to your dérailleurs and chain.

You certainly won't get as many miles out of it as you probably could, but it certainly works as an alternative and is definitely better than nothing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Acting on advice elsewhere on the forum, I decided to give chainsaw oil a try. At only £5 for 500 mL at the local hardware shop, it is a lot cheaper than the bike oil from the LBS.

So far, so good. I used the 'Mickle method' to clean and lube a chain with it. I've only done 16 miles on the bike since, but so far, everything seems to be running smoothly. I do wonder if I am going to get more grit stuck to the chain now though - I was using dry lube before.

I have been using GT85 spray on my bike chain for about the past 6 months and it seems to be doing a good job . Do you or have you used GT85 spray if you have what is your feedback on it

GT85 works well as a chain lube, but you need to re-apply regularly. I tend to use it more in the summer months. In the colder months I use a heavier, penetrating oil like Cyclo 'Breakaway' which is also very good. Wax or dry lubes don't seem to work as well in the colder weather, I find.

U

User6179

Me and my m8 bought same bikes together , mine was full Ultegra and his was Dura-ace , I used 3 in 1 high professional lubricant and he used GT85 , his chain and cassette were done at 1500 miles ,still got my cassette with 8000 miles on the clock .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use it to lube the pivots on the rear mech. Getting any other lube into them is a real pain, hence the use of an aerosol. Yes, I like the smell too.

Alun

Guru
Acting on advice elsewhere on the forum, I decided to give chainsaw oil a try. At only £5 for 500 mL at the local hardware shop, it is a lot cheaper than the bike oil from the LBS.

So far, so good. I used the 'Mickle method' to clean and lube a chain with it. I've only done 16 miles on the bike since, but so far, everything seems to be running smoothly. I do wonder if I am going to get more grit stuck to the chain now though - I was using dry lube before.
Don't apply too much chainsaw oil though, it gets flung off the chain and sticks to everything else!
Dry lube?? in Hebden Bridge?? hahaha!

Venod

Eh up
Me and my m8 bought same bikes together , mine was full Ultegra and his was Dura-ace , I used 3 in 1 high professional lubricant and he used GT85 , his chain and cassette were done at 1500 miles ,still got my cassette with 8000 miles on the clock .

That's a significant difference I think I will try some chainsaw oil as ColinJ refers to above, and see how it goes, I don't want it all over the bike though so sparingly is the word.

Despite the name Dura-ace cassettes are not as durable as Ultegra so that accounts for some mileage difference, but I wouldn't of thought they were 6500 miles less durable, so the oil could be the deciding factor.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't apply too much chainsaw oil though, it gets flung off the chain and sticks to everything else!
Dry lube?? in Hebden Bridge?? hahaha!
Also - the chainsaw oil does seem pretty thick so I think it would be a grit magnet if not kept under control. I let it soak in to the rollers of the chain and then wiped off as much as I could from the surface.

I will probably stick with dry lube on my Cannondale which is my good-weather bike.

Top Bottom