GT85

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

Does anyone use GT85 to clean their drivetrain? I seen a YouTuber (Francis Cade) do it and it looks a super efficient and cost effective way of doing so.

I have used it in the past for the summer bike. On a rag and run the chain through.
Only problem is it washes off in the rain.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Flossing the cassette with an old towel seems to work well. I have a muc off chain cleaner but it takes ages to clean the chain and is a bit of a faff.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
When I use GT85, it mostly involves squirting it on a rag to give a quick clean/polish to various components or the frame.

The only time I use it as a lubricant is a quick squirt aimed at the innards of my brifters every now and again.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Can it work as a chain lube also?
Its a bit shoot as a lube but better than nothing, I use it sprayed on a rag to clean the chain, and then keep rubbing chain with said rag until clean and thus no almost free of GT85 except some will have got into rollers where it needs to be. then apply a proper lube, use waxy stuff in summer and dry off and wipe the outer plates.

search on here for Mickle method for a fuller description.

those strap on chain cleaners are useless

Reactions: C R

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I tend to use it when the kids or missus complain their bikes aren't riding very well and when I have a look find a rusty chain. I then wipe it off and lube the chain.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to, but a while back Tesco were selling the giant cans of WD40 for £2 a go, and I bought 40 cans. Thats now my drivetrain cleaner of choice, penetrant, light duty lube, and condiment of choice.

I used to, but a while back Tesco were selling the giant cans of WD40 for £2 a go, and I bought 40 cans. Thats now my drivetrain cleaner of choice, penetrant, light duty lube, and condiment of choice.
40 cans!!!
is your cycling/presence on here some sort of cover?

(and in any case you can often get GT85 for £2.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, although these are whopping great 450ml cans, so I'm getting a bit of extra juice for my shekels.

Incidentally, GT85 is now owned by the WD40 company.

those strap on chain cleaners are useless
I have one of those plastic chain cleaners with a weird brush system inside
it's a bit of a pain to use it but with a good dose of degreaser inside it it cleans the chain pretty well after it has been wound through it 8 or 9 times
I then wash off all the degreaser using a big bucket of water
then a good wipe with a cloth to dry it
during this faffing about I have the bits of the derailleur sitting in a bowl of degreaser

seems to work - the bike is massively smoother afterwards

GT85 - to get back to the point - I only use that (or WD40) in the winter as a quick fix after a wet ride when it is too wet or cold to clean stuff properly
I generally hose the mud off and dry the bike with a leaf blower (wife won;t let me use her Dyson hair dryer so some reason???)
then spray some GT85 over the chain and gears

Top Bottom