Spraying bike with water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
After a pro race I see the mechanics hosing down the bikes. My question:
Is it okay to rub the bike over with a cloth to dry it or are the pro mechanics using hairdryers (or similar)?
Thanks.

Venod

Eh up
I don't know what the pro's use to dry the bike, but I often jet wash the MTB and CX bikes, I just dry them with a towel and spray the important bits with GT85.

Last edited:

dodgy

I doubt the pros are worried about drying the bike thoroughly, certainly not with a hairdryer :laugh:
The drivetrain will get special attention in terms of cleanliness and lubrication, though.

Reactions: C R

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just bounce the thing hard on it's wheels a couple of times to shake off the worst of the water droplets and leave it at that. I can't believe that people bugger about like this. A bike is a piece of machinery. Treat it like one! Do you dry your car with a towel after a wet journey? I certainly don't.

Hi,
After a pro race I see the mechanics hosing down the bikes. My question:
Is it okay to rub the bike over with a cloth to dry it or are the pro mechanics using hairdryers (or similar)?
Thanks.
Mechanics don't just wash and put them away. They relube and check the bike - retape bars etc.

You'll be fine drying it with a cloth. I bet 99% of bikes don't get that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What kind of water do pro teams use?

For training they use heavy water, to help build strength.

Team Ineos have their own nuclear reactor son they can use tritiated water for those extra neutrons.

I did see the mechanics at the Tour use a power washer, degreaser and soap but they used rags to dry. They also used silicon spray to drive out water.

What kind of water do pro teams use?

It depends what results they hope for. If they want a high-gloss finish with ultimate shine, they will use an Illuminating Treatment Spray infused with Crystal Light Technology; if they need instant repair and increased strength, after cleaning they will use a Reconstruction Mask with Kera-Panthenol Complex. However, if a chemical to connect the body and mind of the rider to the bike is needed, an application of Brazilian Orange, Saffron and Cedarwood to one, and of Cardamom, Orange Blossom and Vanilla to the other, may be effective. Long distance and endurance competitors would doubtless do better with applications of Far Away or Far Away Infinity ...
And if you want to be seen and heard (in traffic I presume) there are special applications for that, too.
Or at least that's what a brochure I'm perusing, advises ...

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I don't know what the pro's use to dry the bike, but I often jet wash the MTB and CX bikes, I just dry them with a towel and spray the important bits with GT85.

Hi - many thanks. Is that a silicone spray? Best to avoid getting it on the chain/block or is that okay (or indeed desirable)?

Top Bottom