Spraying bike with water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mr Sheen for the win.

battered

Guru
Yes, it's OK to wipe your bike with a cloth. It's OK to not bother too. Sometimes cyclists ride bikes in the rain, bikes don't melt.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Yes, it's OK to wipe your bike with a cloth. It's OK to not bother too. Sometimes cyclists ride bikes in the rain, bikes don't melt.

I think the issue is that I haven't used silicone spray in the past and I seem to have ended up with rust on certain components; the spray is the answer.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It depends what results they hope for. If they want a high-gloss finish with ultimate shine, they will use an Illuminating Treatment Spray infused with Crystal Light Technology; if they need instant repair and increased strength, after cleaning they will use a Reconstruction Mask with Kera-Panthenol Complex. However, if a chemical to connect the body and mind of the rider to the bike is needed, an application of Brazilian Orange, Saffron and Cedarwood to one, and of Cardamom, Orange Blossom and Vanilla to the other, may be effective. Long distance and endurance competitors would doubtless do better with applications of Far Away or Far Away Infinity ...
And if you want to be seen and heard (in traffic I presume) there are special applications for that, too.
Or at least that's what a brochure I'm perusing, advises ...
...because they're worth it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think you'll find they generally use the WET verity.

There is the new dry water favoured by bike packing crowd due to its lightweight properties.

battered

Guru
I think the issue is that I haven't used silicone spray in the past and I seem to have ended up with rust on certain components; the spray is the answer.
a quick blast of WD 40 on key components will disperse the water (that's what it is designed for) and prevent corrosion. Keep it off braking surfaces, obviously.

tyred

Legendary Member
Only use distilled water when washing your bike. You do not want impurities attacking the paintwork....:okay:

Gixxerman

Guru
I wash it with a sponge and car wash-and-wax then hose pipe on a jet type setting at moderate pressure to remove crap from the hard to reach places (front mech etc). I was told never to use a jet wash as the pressure is too high and can wash the lube of of bearings. I've always wondered if it is also a no-no to wash it upside down as water can get into the steerer tube and into the head race bearings? I also just bounce the bike to get the majority of the water off. I then just leave it outside to dry if it isn't raining. Otherwise, I use an old towel / microfibre cloth to dry off the worst of the water, paying greatest attention to the bits that can rust (transmission). Next day when fully dry I relube the transmission. I also give it a polish with GT85 as this having silicone in it means that any crap tends not to stick and washes off much easier next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom