Guardian Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Spat at, abused, had sticks thrown at my wheels. had a beer can thrown at me...

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
In some ways, I'd love to get a video camera on my helmet. But....

In all honesty, is it that effective, or is it the perception it is effective? I have to think that an average careless driver probably hasn't seen or is aware of the camera until after they've done some crazy stunt -a bit late by then. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of the stuff isn't the result of someone looking at a cyclist and saying "oh they haven't got a camera, I'll can cut them off too closely now...." Another thing that effects me is that where I am, I'm pretty sure the average motorist wouldn't have a clue about that tube on a helmet or handlebars, and would have no idea it is a camera.

Granted, I see the advantage of having it as evidence after an incident but I'm not sure it makes you that much safer overall -i.e. preventing an incident. On the other hand, I can see cameras as good if you want to actively pursue dangerous drivers or if you are confronted, or as the way Magnatom uses his.

Course, I haven't got one, so perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cab

Nigeyy said:

In all honesty, is it that effective, or is it the perception it is effective? I have to think that an average careless driver probably hasn't seen or is aware of the camera until after they've done some crazy stunt -a bit late by then.

Its effective.

I just talked to a company whose driver did the same stupid thing I posted about the other day (drove at me at a narrow section where I had priority). This time I did not point out that I had a camera, and he continued to advance at me, and then drove off while yelling that 'you're only a f***ing bicycle'. Said driver has now been roundly told not to behave that way again, what with there being a cyclist with video evidence of him being abusive in the company van... Where I've had the same incident with other drivers there, I've pointed at the camera, they stop, they allow space and time for me to pass after first having knowingly broken the law at that spot.

Its not just perception, its clear that when you hilight you have a camera, they know not to mess you around.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of the stuff isn't the result of someone looking at a cyclist and saying "oh they haven't got a camera, I'll can cut them off too closely now...." Another thing that effects me is that where I am, I'm pretty sure the average motorist wouldn't have a clue about that tube on a helmet or handlebars, and would have no idea it is a camera.

Mine is right on top of my helmet; I get asked 'is that a camera' or hear people saying 'he's got a camera' many days. The word is out among local bus drivers, because there are at least three or four regulars in Cambridge with cameras.

Granted, I see the advantage of having it as evidence after an incident but I'm not sure it makes you that much safer overall -i.e. preventing an incident. On the other hand, I can see cameras as good if you want to actively pursue dangerous drivers or if you are confronted, or as the way Magnatom uses his.

I find that it reduces the rate of problems with certain classes of drivers (bus drivers especially), and a little gesture at the camera or mention that I'm using it takes the heat out of other situations too. Generally speaking, thats all positive, and there have (as yet) been no netatives. Other than charging batteries.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Nigeyy said:

In all honesty, is it that effective, or is it the perception it is effective? I have to think that an average careless driver probably hasn't seen or is aware of the camera until after they've done some crazy stunt -a bit late by then. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of the stuff isn't the result of someone looking at a cyclist and saying "oh they haven't got a camera, I'll can cut them off too closely now...." Another thing that effects me is that where I am, I'm pretty sure the average motorist wouldn't have a clue about that tube on a helmet or handlebars, and would have no idea it is a camera.

Let me post some evidence. I pointed to the camera just as this bus was about to overtake too close...

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T4S1bJTHL9E

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Catrike UK said:
Now you are famous you will have to invest in a better camera.

Your kidding aren't you? This article is nothing compared to my appearences in the Evening Times, the Sun (3 times over three days), Scottish TV News (lunchtime and evening), Sky News Website, Which? Web site (no idea how I ended up on there!) and Radio Scotland.

I think it is a helmet camera selling company that wants to invest in me.

This video is sponsored by......

B)

(Actually looking at that list is quite scary!:ohmy: )

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:
Whilst this is a bit of opening para journalistic hyperbole - it does reinforce the commonly held view that cycling is dangerous and generally unpleasant. This is unhelpful.

The speculation about whether a camera has made her less prone to incidents, is just that; speculation.

I don't think it is hyperbole. I haven't met her, but I have hat a good few chats with her and I think she has had some bad experiences on the road. She is purely writting from experience, I think that is pretty obvious to anyone reading (have you cycled in Glasgow?!)

At the end I think she makes it obvious that she is speculating, leaving it up to the reader to make their own mind up, starting a debate, perhaps. What's wrong with that?

Have a look at the video I posted in answer to Nigevy. It is direct evidence of an effect. n=1 sure, but an effect none the less.....

PBancroft

I never realised that Bollo was so close to me (I'm a Winchester cyclist too)... can't say that I have most of the issues he does, but then I think I cover different parts of the area than him, especially judging by his Little Ms. Sunshine video (Basingstoke... not Winchester by a long stretch...)

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I don't think it is hyperbole. I haven't met her, but I have hat a good few chats with her and I think she has had some bad experiences on the road. She is purely writting from experience, I think that is pretty obvious to anyone reading (have you cycled in Glasgow?!)

At the end I think she makes it obvious that she is speculating, leaving it up to the reader to make their own mind up, starting a debate, perhaps. What's wrong with that?

Have a look at the video I posted in answer to Nigevy. It is direct evidence of an effect. n=1 sure, but an effect none the less.....

I suspect she has had some good experiences on the road too - it's just a shame we don't get to hear about that. It makes cycling sound like an activity more suited to a combat cameramen/women! As I said though - it's the first para of an article and she needs to get our attention - so be it.

Nothing wrong with speculating, but as you have learnt, people can see and interpret things very differently...

Magnatom - I have used cameras on my bikes before - I remember when you were talking about getting one on C+! I don't bother anymore, but am thinking I might return to filming my rides.

Just a point about cameras in cars. It's happening already in the USA.
I've seen footage on one of those police camera type shows that had both in car footage (driver nodding off) and forward facing (the resulting collision). Cameras apparently installed as a condition of the (young) drivers insurance. Some sort of impact switch saves the footage which, I would assume constantly updates a short memory capacity.

I'm all for it. I think it would make a huge difference to the behaviour of young drivers if they knew they were being monitored all the time. isn't this the worst group for road incidents?
Believe one UK insurer is already offering a pay-as-you drive for these groups anyway, tracked by satellite.

Top Bottom