Guardian Photo Essay on the Rough Stuff Fellowship cycling club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
What do you see when you click on my link?

upload_2019-6-15_8-16-12.png

classic33

Leg End Member
My faulty link was supposed to list 3 pages worth of threads returned by a search that I did for "South Lakes" in the thread title. I have no idea why the link only works for me! Maybe searches are only available to the member who did the original search? What do you see when you click on my link?
As above.

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for the link -
Wonderful photo essay in todays Guardian on the Rough Stuff Fellowship.

"Often described as the world’s oldest off-road cycling club, the Rough-Stuff Fellowship (RSF) was founded in 1955 by a group of hardy cyclists from northern England who shunned smooth tarmac in favour of bumpy tracks, muddy bridleways and rugged hill passes. Their goal: to traverse “the rougher and less-beaten ways”

It's an amazing look through their photo archives and puts my gravel biking exploits to shame!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/13/break-the-cycle-britains-oldest-off-road-club
Thanks for the link - fantastic article & much appreciated.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
An interesting read is the Highwayman by Davie Bell. An Ayrshire based gardener who travelled with company all round southern Scotland as well as further afield. The book is based on a column he wrote for the local newspaper. They took bikes well off the beaten track in the days when everyone had a billycan and a Primus stove. Fair takes me back to my youthful travels.

Apparently RSF membership has doubled in the last year, and it's mostly under-40s!

(There was a TImes article, I think it was posted on Facebook somewhere? Published in Feb2020? Sadly 90% behind the paywall.)

I did my only ride with them a year ago - the Wayfarer Anniversary event in the Berwyns. Brilliant weekend

Top Bottom