Guess how many drivers didn't have insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
As I said, I never mention actually mentioned legal need, but for someone to lend you the money. If buying with cash and no loan, then no buildings insurance is needed, although it am not sure what would happen if your house caught fire which then burnt down your neighbour's house?

Buildings insurance is sometimes wrongly thought of as a legal requirement. In actual fact many home loan lenders simply require that a mortgage applicant should show proof of having a policy when they apply for their loan.

Thinking back, buildings insurance was part of the maintenance fee when I lived in a leasehold flat, and this too had to be proven to the lender

Still wrong

The word you need is "may"

Reactions: gaz
2k for my 1st policy at 18,
some say its too expensive thats why they dont have it,

If you cant aford the insurance dont drive a car get public transport or cycle,

Dont the police do a release where if your caught you can sign the. car to them for crushing instead of paying fines?? Sure I seen it on police interceptors
The only problem with this is the only way to get your insurance premiums down is to get a no claims bonus, which means paying the premiums and not claiming. Or waiting until you're 25 for the premiums to drop bit but you still have to pay 5 years to get the no clams included.

screenman

Legendary Member
Going off-topic slightly. But why not provide the Emergency Services with those vehicles for practice. Then when there done with them send them for crushing?
Local Fire & Rescue Authority have to buy any vehicle they want to use in practice or displays. Money they could spend elsewhere.
Not around here they do not, that have a deal with a local breaker who supplies them, and then takes them away. If they are paying for them then the guy doing the deal want replacing with somebody who can do a deal.

screenman

Legendary Member
I went to tax (VED) my car the other day gave her the form, MOT, cheque and insurance documents she gave the MOT and the insurance papers back saying “we don't need these any more”, this is because of vehicle recognition by the police. The way I see it is a way to not have an MOT or insurance, and in October we won't even have a tax (VED) in the window.
You cannot get CED without those being current, they just check electronically now rather than having to see a hard copy.

I also think the no disc is a stupid step, living in an area where there are it seems more hens teeth than police the non payers will have a field day.

sidevalve

Über Member
As for the tax disc I believe the only use for it is to clog up a small portion of the windscreen. You will still have to pay a fee or VED or whatever you want to call it and the police do not check the disc on the vehicle [haven't done for some time] they check the details via the DVLC. The disc is quite irrelevant. One of the reasons that insurance is so high is "fake" injury compensation claims [which is why I believe all cyclists should have insurance too. The chances of real injury may be much less but with a little imagination even a tiny error could be made to cost you thousands]. The other IMHO is the insane cost of spares on modern cars, after all an LED light unit may look pretty but it costs hundreds to replace where a lens and a bulb would be just a few quid.
To the OP - there will I'm afraid always be criminals and stupid people out there so ride safe.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2868921, member: 45"]It's easy. Buy a car for £100 at the local auction. Drive it uninsured until it's seized. Then buy another one and repeat...[/quote]
My bet is your £100 banger will die of old age long before Inspector Knacker ever feels your collar. The police simply don't do enough of the roadside checking as described in the article. With numberplate recognition and automatic lookup to the databases it should be self-financing for the police to do so. But that would be tantamount to declaring war on the hard-pressed motorist. And that would never do with an election coming up.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2869629, member: 45"]According the a policeman I spoke to a couple of years ago the cars they use which have anpr in irritate them because they ping constantly. Drive into some areas and you'd not have the capacity to deal with every car that flags up.[/quote]
"Low policing priority" and "more important crimes being targeted with limited resources" are what one former traffic inspector told me in 2012. He particularly enjoyed knowing that the chair of one local police liaison committee in a 'tough' part of town was driving uninsured.

Top Bottom