Guess what...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I was in France the year before last, on our last evening, sitting in the garden of the house with my friend (just us two left, the guys of the party had set off the day before to ride home), in the mild evening air, the swallows twittering in the eaves, the sun just going down, the omlette just served, and the white wine poured, the neighbour struck up on his accordian. It was the first night we'd heard him doing it, and it was so utterly 'right' that I'm almost crying at the memory of it.

I had a similar experience in Applecross on my hols a couple of years ago. We'd been out for a huge mtb ride, in amazing scenery. Got showered and changed, been down the pub overlooking the bay, had a skinful, and just seen the most incredible sunset. There was a boat moored in the bay and on the boat was a bloke who suddenly started playing the bagpipes as the sky was still burning red/purple from the sunset. The sound travelling over the water was jsut haunting, and made the moment so perfect...

Top Bottom