Guilty secret - havent ridden for a week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Foul weather - not only do you get wet it stops my brakes from working. I know several people rate cantis but slowly I'm being turned off them, tbh. After a ride if its been wet I have to rub down the rims or else the next journey on the bike I wont be able to stop. And not only has it been p***ing it down here the last few days, it has been gale force gusts. Started looking again at finding a wet weather and winter ride - so much easier to brake with Vs or callipers.

On a lighter note I've just got three new jerseys. All Foska: a spare Homer, a Crash Test Dummy and a Beano. Dying to wear the Beano one, even if my belly sticks out in it. :tongue:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
DF, if your brakes aren't working, surley you should be donning the crash test dummy jersey?
I will have been off the bike for a week. But that is more due to shifts than anything else. I don't ride in if I'm on full nights and I've picked up 3 of them this week! However if the wind drops I'll try and get out today!

Crankarm

Guru
It's been so windy here even the wind turbines are stopped.

Re your bike's brakes - they should work in all weathers. Perhaps spend some ££££ on these rather than new jerseys?

Davidc

Guru
Get some decent pads. If you have a good LBS they'll advise, otherwise as BentMikey says use kool stops, Wiggle do them. I've used the Tectonic ones with cantilever brakes and found them good.

With good pads there isn't a noticeable difference between cantilever and caliper brakes (that I've ever noticed anyhow).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've been off the bike for a week now too - initially as I had a raging sore throat followed by a minor cold, then because I've needed to burn off excess flextime so I've been having a few lie-ins and taking the bus.

Off on my hols now for two weeks, so hoping to get out on the bike a bit or out on the fixie for some pootling.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've been off the bike for a week. But i was on holiday :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been on my bike every day since Saturday and that's been regardless of tendonitis in my foot although last Sunday's London ride nearly made me throw up at one point. Rain is just water, wind is just air. So you get wet and it takes a little longer to get where you're going, get out on the bike!!!

Oh and get new pads. (but keep buying the jerseys, I got the road tax one from Foska)

And before Topcat joins in, clean your chain as well as the rims after every ride. :whistle:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Chain was cleaned last night. I have koolstops on there, still useless. Its like theres no pressure on the brakes when I pull the leavers. I wonder if its bacuse something is flexing? I clean the rims once a week. Brakes have been adjusted and angled properly (did it myself) but this is a recurring problem.

Going down the bike shop to look at a second bike tomorrow.

Davidc

Guru
There are a couple of things you could check. If the bike wasn't new when you got it, or it's had components changed then it might have the wrong brake levers. Differrent brake types need a different amount of leverage (mechanical advantage) to make them work properly. The other thing to check is the cables. If they're damaged or the wrong type of cable sleeve has been used it can have that effect. The one that caught me once was when I was supplied with gear cable outers instead of brake cable outers. Needless to say you can't see damage from the outside, and you can't tell what sort of cable outer you have unless you know what each of them looks like.

Top Bottom