*GULP* A close shave......are ATC2Ks any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This was my closest yet....and was a wheel radius away from intensive care!:biggrin:

At the RAB here http://tinyurl.com/36ess36 exiting the RAB the same direction as the red pickup...my front wheel was where the "W Bar" arrow is on the streetview link (by the back wheel of the pickup) when I saw the blue vectra coming onto the RAB from my left at a fair old rate of knots in the nearside lane.

Thankful for Avid discs with new just-bedded-in pads! If I'd not clocked the idiot.... as it was, even stoppuing if I'd not turned the front wheel to the right I reckon the wheel would have been hit.

I am actually quite glad that I didn't manage to catch up going up the hill - traffic was unusually light on that road - normally it's stationary. I think I would have done something very stupid if I had got close enough, though I had a good leg-burn up the hill trying to catch up.

I did actually continue my way home heading off towards Aldi in anger to pick up one of the Oregon ATC2K cams that they have in but I stopped myself, figured I'd ask about them first.

Anyone used one? Any views on whether they are good value - or can I get better for £50-ish?

If I'd had a cam there and then, it would have been rude not to just cross the road and go straight into the cop shop. Unfortunately I didn't get a reg, I was too focussed on staying alive, then everything was red-mist for the next couple of minutes.

If I ever have one that close again I'll stop for a while though. Poor bus driver who pulled out later not too close but just in that slightly irritating way that they do got the last of the still pumping adrenaline as I stood up past him and gacve him a bit of an unjust earful...in future I'll stop and calm down (or find a quiet hill to focus my energies on) rather than riding with anything pent-up :ohmy:

Glad you are OK.

I've got the 5k and its pretty bomb proof but IMO its a bit bulky, doesn't film well in low light and the sound) but you'll lose out in robustness. I think a few forumers used to have the 2K they can maybe give you an indication as to its performance.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yeah, you should really try not to take it out on other drivers - that's exactly the sort of thing we rightly criticise them for.

Glad you escaped OK.

thomas

the tank engine
I've got one. Want to buy it off me? :biggrin: It's been sitting unused, since I got my muvi micro.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thomase1

Scroll to the bottom on the video thing and work your way up to get an idea.

TBH, I'd pay a bit more and got for the MUVI. The main advantages of the ATC over the muvi is that it is waterproof, a bit more rugged and it uses batteries so you can use it all day if you wish. Though you can get the waterproof case for MUVI.

Disadvantages are that it is quite hard to position well. I found if it moved just the littlest bit the footage wouldn't be any good. The field of view is quite small so you don't get as good a video. It's also pretty chunky and heavy.

For the price it is probably still a decent camera, but for a bit more money you can get something much better.

If you fancy getting a good deal on mine let me know, and when I'm home next week I will let you know what parts I've got and do you a good deal ;)

I've got a MUVI but it was no good for yesterday's wet commute...even with that plastic (waterproof) box thingy...

Surprised you have a problem with the MUVI positioning thomas...It isn't an issue here.Good thing about a MUVI also is you don't notice it on your helmet.(fnarr fnarr)

Oh yeah got to fit the handlebar cam...The other one got ruined in the rain yesterday.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
I've got a MUVI but it was no good for yesterday's wet commute...even with that plastic (waterproof) box thingy...

Surprised you have a problem with the MUVI positioning thomas...It isn't an issue here.Good thing about a MUVI also is you don't notice it on your helmet.(fnarr fnarr)

Oh yeah got to fit the handlebar cam...The other one got ruined in the rain yesterday.

Oh no, I meant the ATC2000 is a bugger to position. If the mount moves slightly then the footage is useless.

I know some of my positioning with the muvi is bad, but that's because I'm useless, not the camera :smile:

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Glad I didn't go and buy one in anger then.....sounds like I would only end up frustrated with it, since I want one I can use for other things too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You can buy waterproof cases for the Muvi if needed. Dont know if by paying for the camera, sports kit and the waterproof case you may as well buy a more expensive camera or not.

Top Bottom