Guttering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rozza1980

Good evening. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts are regarding downpipe responsibilities.
I have today received a letter from my (extremely unfriendly) neighbour stating that they have had an issue with overflowing gutters since March. They are constantly sending us letters telling us to clear our gutters, despite us having this done each autumn.
They are now asking us to pay £80 as they have discovered their issue is related to the downpipe being blocked. They have never approached us with regards to this issue. It’s not something we’d know there is an issue with, as the Osaka way is on their land and we’ve never had an issue ourselves. They’ve decided to have the works carried out whilst we were away as obviously it couldn’t wait another week, having already been a problem for 8 months!! They’re now stating that we are fully responsible for the downpipe - even though it is the only downpipe serving both properties - and that we are fully responsible for the £80 cost.
their conclusion seems to be that we are responsive as the downpipe is on our property (it isn’t!). I’ve attached a photo showing the properties (ours is the left in the picture) and so the downpipe is clearly on their property!
I want to know if legally there’s anything they can do, as if anything, we should only be liable for half the cost

Attachments

• 3670C04A-A95C-49CA-8727-FB05EFF147F2.png
    3670C04A-A95C-49CA-8727-FB05EFF147F2.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 14

Slick

Guru
Is that plastic running into cast?

Drago

Legendary Member
It looks to me like its attached to their house, not yours. I'd give them the ritual Japanese response of sodu offu. Had they asked nicely I would have gone halves seeing as your rainwater goes down it too, but your not responsible for maintenance of any part of their property...unless there is some legal covenant stating otherwise.

BtW, who charges 80 quid to unbung a drainpipe? Even Jeremy Vine doesn't charge that for less than a minutes work.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd say it is bolted to their house therefore their responsibility, I do note they were too tight to have it done in black when they had the gutters done though.

midlife

Guru
Yup, it's a deeds thing, you should have a reduction in your water charges as the waste goes into a soakaway. Check with the water people. They are responsible for the downpipe as its on their property and the deeds will reflect this.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It looks like the pipe is on their property going by the air bricks.
Does the downpipe feed into their side of the fence, boundary? So the pipe in the ground is on their land?

Same set up at my house with me having the drains and pipes.
I clean them out.

Tell him to crack on.

To solve the problem get some gutter guards fitted to your side then he cant blame you for leaf and moss blockage.
The headghog type is what id use.. If i was to fit them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the downpipe goes into a soakaway it could be it is not working properly and backing up, in which case no amount of cleaning will help. Are you having any problems or is it just him?
You could try offering him forty quid to settle it stating while you accept no responsibility etc. The trouble with these sort of people they will always insist they are right no matter how wrong they are.
By the way welcome to the forum.

Drago

Legendary Member
Reroute thr drainpipe through his letterbox. When he complains about the wet carpet you can advise him that the drainpipe clearly isn't blocked then.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The approach I would take is whilst the pipe may be on Thier side it is serving both houses so from a moral point of view the maintenance burden should be shared.

However they had no right to self authorise the £80 worth of work if they expect you to contribute.

I would just just be extra smiley and say face to face "I'll do it next time in return , as you didn't ask upfront this time round I won't be contributing".

D

Deleted member 26715

I would ask to see the receipt for the £80 expense, and then laugh at him and say he has been ripped off!
I actually don't think that's a bad price, it would not have come with any guarantee & was a cash in hand price.

Top Bottom