gym newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
did my first session at the gym today (last time i was in a gymnasium, i was sitting o levels). we've got a nuffield health gym at work, which is only a tenner a month (which if nothing else allows access to the pool and snooker tables), so it seemed a good idea to join, although as a green commuter i already use the changing rooms and showers.

i'm cycling 64km three days a week as a commute, so asked about doing some stuff on the in-between days to improve my cycling whilst not tyring my legs too much.

the nice lass has written me a programme which utilises nothing more hi-tech than a dumb-bell and gym ball, and it's a lot of stretchy stuff designed to improve core, back and leg muscles (a lot of it lying down). it was hard enough doing the exercises by way of demonstration; doing it for real will be quite tough.

still, at least i can warm up/down on a stationary bike…

Mrs M

Guru
The gym ball and stretchy stuff really works on the core and it's not easy!!!

jack smith

Veteran
Thats a bargain, rowing machine works wonders as said above, just dont bulk up on the weights too much ot youll struggle up the hills like me lol

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Thats a bargain, rowing machine works wonders as said above, just dont bulk up on the weights too much ot youll struggle up the hills like me lol
i think i'll mix up doing some sessions on spin bike, nordic walker or rowing machine, and some doing the programme that's been designed for me.

i told them i didn't want to bulk up or build up muscles in my legs that weren't cycling-useful. i've been told to avoid the treadmill for that reason.

it's a pleasant surprise to find that the staff are happy to listen to me, even as a newb, and work out what i really need, rather than dictating a programme that would be detrimental to cycling but still a good workout…

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
A tenner a month. You lucky thing. Our Nuffield is nearly 50 quid a month. It's a nice 3.5 miles from our house, which would make an excellent warm up though.
you've probably got a swimming pool, we've only pool tables (from the old days of the sports and social club, apparently). as i hate swimming and love playing pool though, i wouldn't swap…

jack smith

Veteran
Ill disagree and say the treadmill will be a useful tool for weight loss if thats what your going for and a massive increase in cardiovascular endurance, you shouldnt build up too much leg muscle, look at runners outside their legs dont tend to stand out

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh the 48 hour burn. You'll be in pain in a couple of days.

Going to get back to the gym now my blood levels are back to normal (on meds). Not been for about a year.

Ed Phelan

If they offer any classes at that price you should definitely give them a go. I used to cycle to work everyday and stick to the weights at the gym, I also used to go swimming a lot which was a nice bonus but left me feeling pretty much dead afterwards.

Top Bottom