Hack/alternative for Ultegra Caliper brake cable adjuster bolt

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Kernow_T, 8 Feb 2018.

1. Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Have lost both Ultegra adjuster bolts (what would ordinarily be a barrel adjuster on a caliper). I don't want to spend nearly £30 on two new ones quite frankly; will anything else do the same job?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-ultegra-br6700-cable-adjusting-bolt-unit-y8g698120/

For example
    Will this do the same job?

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/shimano-kabelstelset-36920?as=athlete&kwd_id=20051-AGI-40936456210-ASI-376914782768-ASQCJS5E0E&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MYfsnz6siN5BrdBc-PM46nf4DBAP9oyHOyW4VuTvUYa5VWFn4eZND8aAu84EALw_wcB

Cheers

2. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

I think the cheap bit you are looking at is a bolt for the adjuster on a rear derailleur - not the same thing as your brake

3. OP
    OP
    Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Ahh - well spotted. Is it the case however that any brake cable adjuster unit, so long as its the same thread, will do the same job

4. OP
    OP
    Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

5. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

That will only fit the 5800 brake not yuor 6700

6. OP
    OP
    Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Indeed. I think the 'trick' is to forget the bolt, rather concentrate on the housing (in Ultegra case) a little plastic ring that 'clips' on. Conceivably a different ring attached (possibly glued) with appropriate bolt would do the trick

7. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

How did you lose these? Go on. Tell us the story. Losing one is unlucky (and I suspect most unusual). Losing two seems careless especially on high-end expensive brake calipers.
    If it were me I'd raid a cheaper set of calipers for the parts, with the same diameter and tpi.

8. OP
    OP
    Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Yes yes - the last bit - agreed - on it today.
    Actually I only lost one, someone else lost the other - I just assume responsibility as I them fixed and being used

Ajax Bay likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Found it (well the one I misplaced)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice