Hack/alternative for Ultegra Caliper brake cable adjuster bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Have lost both Ultegra adjuster bolts (what would ordinarily be a barrel adjuster on a caliper). I don't want to spend nearly £30 on two new ones quite frankly; will anything else do the same job?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-ultegra-br6700-cable-adjusting-bolt-unit-y8g698120/

For example
Will this do the same job?

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/shimano-kabelstelset-36920?as=athlete&kwd_id=20051-AGI-40936456210-ASI-376914782768-ASQCJS5E0E&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MYfsnz6siN5BrdBc-PM46nf4DBAP9oyHOyW4VuTvUYa5VWFn4eZND8aAu84EALw_wcB

Cheers

iluvmybike

Über Member
I think the cheap bit you are looking at is a bolt for the adjuster on a rear derailleur - not the same thing as your brake

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
I think the cheap bit you are looking at is a bolt for the adjuster on a rear derailleur - not the same thing as your brake
Ahh - well spotted. Is it the case however that any brake cable adjuster unit, so long as its the same thread, will do the same job

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
That will only fit the 5800 brake not yuor 6700
Indeed. I think the 'trick' is to forget the bolt, rather concentrate on the housing (in Ultegra case) a little plastic ring that 'clips' on. Conceivably a different ring attached (possibly glued) with appropriate bolt would do the trick

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have lost both Ultegra adjuster bolts (what would ordinarily be a barrel adjuster on a caliper).
How did you lose these? Go on. Tell us the story. Losing one is unlucky (and I suspect most unusual). Losing two seems careless especially on high-end expensive brake calipers.
If it were me I'd raid a cheaper set of calipers for the parts, with the same diameter and tpi.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
How did you lose these? Go on. Tell us the story. Losing one is unlucky (and I suspect most unusual). Losing two seems careless especially on high-end expensive brake calipers.
If it were me I'd raid a cheaper set of calipers for the parts, with the same diameter and tpi.
Yes yes - the last bit - agreed - on it today.
Actually I only lost one, someone else lost the other - I just assume responsibility as I them fixed and being used

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Found it (well the one I misplaced)

Top Bottom