Hackney rider pursued, knocked from bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
She should of done the honorable thing and handed herself in first thing instead of having people hunt her down for a month like an animal.

Utter scum. No doubt the judge will hand her a paltry fine and a few points on her license for admitting guilt before releasing her back into the wild where shes free to find another victim to drive her car at again.

bloody cowards.

Must employ a proof reader before i post on here to satisfy the pedants on this board.Generally if two people have an argument there will be raised voices.Am i wrong?
Well, you might be. That's why you used the word "generally", so you have answered your own question. The point is that you are making assumptions, and you know what they say about making assumptions...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think it is very difficult not to tell a driver what you think of them if they do something stupid and you are involved. But I think it is really unwise to then ride off in front of the driver you have just remonstrated with. Let them get away before you set off.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think I see both sides to this (btw, not saying I know what happened with the original incident).

On one hand, remonstrating a driver can have very unpleasant consequences; they are in a vastly bigger powered vehicle, you are on a very exposed bicycle. As much as you would like to give somebody a piece of your mind, is it worth it? Is it even something that would make a positive difference and even likely make the driver behave more responsibly?

On the other hand.... are we to meekly accept and implicitly condone selfish and unsafe driving by remaining silent? If we don't make a statement, will that mean that same driver won't think twice about doing the same thing or worse again, doing all of us cyclists a disservice? And if we do remonstrate, surely it is entirely unreasonable for a driver to use their automobile in a threatening and/or dangerous manner?

I still am trying to get to grips with both sides of this..... but I would say about 99% of the time I don't remonstrate, don't even raise an eyebrow or a finger. Why? Simply because I'm far from certain that any form of reaction (no matter how reasonable) will be positive, and is more likely to be hugely negative (and I don't want to argue with an automobile thanks). And while I said it would be unreasonable for a driver to use their vehicle in a threatening manner, the problem here is I'm not sure who exactly is reasonable behind the wheel!

OK, the other 1% of the time? I'll freely admit that there have been a handful of occasions where I've just plain reacted based on dangerous driving, a seat-of-your-pants kind of reaction that happened so quickly I barely realized what I'd said after I heard myself. Sometimes -at least for me -you just react.

But certainly short of a cyclist directly threatening and being a very real and imminent threat to a driver's life, there is no way, nor any excuse, good enough to warrant driving into a cyclist deliberately (again, not sure this scenario played out here). Even if they do have the audacity to complain or swear, or even berate.

Top Bottom