Had a bit of a disaster this afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
I bought a 531 frame a while back with a view building it up and riding it in the summer or converting it to single speed.
I was just refitting the back wheel, which being a modern wheel is slightly wider than the dropouts, when I heard a bit of a ping. I couldn't see straight away what had happened but, eventually I discovered what looks like a small crack where the chainstay bridge is attached to the chainstay. I can only see a crack in the paint but if I flex the frame by easing the dropouts apart it looks like it is opening up and closing where the paint is cracked. I wasn't being overly rough when refitting the wheel back and I believe 531 frames can handle slightly wider axles. So this has brought things to an abrupt halt until I decide what to do about it. I am not really sure whether it will be worth the expense of having it repaired which will probably mean a paint job as well. I have found some framebuilders online that can do repairs, but I don't know if it would be possible just to braze around the crack/joint or if it would mean a new bridge is needed.
Apart from that it does rather leave me wondering that if it has cracked so easily just putting the wheel in what else might be trusted.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I did that on the old Viking. Repaired it myself with an oxy-mapp torch and (obviously) braize. Still going strong.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Doesn't seem as if it's been coldset. I measured the dropout and it is still 120mm. Sometimes they are surprisingly difficult to spring apart and drop the wheel in at the same time, looks like I might have had an Incredible Hulk moment.
I have just remembered that someone in our club used to build frames a while back. I will ask him if he still dabbles in that kind of thing. If not it might be worth me having it done and painted as it took me quite a while to find a frame in the size that I wanted. I didn't really want to touch the paint as it's ok but not perfect and I would like to have kept it original but, if it has to be done it will make a nice job of it. I will have a look on the net for Lee Cooper, where is he based?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Doesn't seem as if it's been coldset. I measured the dropout and it is still 120mm. Sometimes they are surprisingly difficult to spring apart and drop the wheel in at the same time, looks like I might have had an Incredible Hulk moment.
I have just remembered that someone in our club used to build frames a while back. I will ask him if he still dabbles in that kind of thing. If not it might be worth me having it done and painted as it took me quite a while to find a frame in the size that I wanted. I didn't really want to touch the paint as it's ok but not perfect and I would like to have kept it original but, if it has to be done it will make a nice job of it. I will have a look on the net for Lee Cooper, where is he based?
You can push 126mm out to 130 (I've done it to 2 of mine) but 120mm :eek::thumbsdown:

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
I'll double check but I'm sure it was 120. Going to scrape the paint off around where I think it's cracked and have a good look.

Top Bottom