Had a nice kind & helpful driver today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once or twice a week I have to cycle a small section of the A54 where after a short sharp climb that is not wide enough for a car to pass you let alone anything else if there is oncoming traffic, there is a right hand turn (A533) that 9 times out of 10 I am unable to get across to safely, so I usually just proceed and take the next right which is a set of cross roads and takes traffic in the opposite direction across to the same road.

Today, as is the case more often than not, I could not get over, so carried on to the 2nd chance where I also could not get over and ended up stopping on the left just before the cross roads. There was a car driver trying to get out of the road on the left, going straight over. We both waited and waited for a gap and given he was there before I was (and I have long since adopted the view that my overall fitness will be vastly improved if I am alive rather than dead), when a gap came I expected him to go first, but to my suprise he was having none of it - he actually wanted to get me across that road safely even though it would mean he would then have to overtake me later on!

He got 2 thank yous and a big smile... It is nice when that happens.

akb

Veteran
April 1st is not for another few months you know...! ^_^

Top Bottom